Author Topic: Triumph Bronze Head  (Read 51532 times)

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
Triumph Bronze Head
« on: September 29, 2008, 02:16:24 PM »
I'm trying to find some information on the optional bronze head Triumph fitted to their pre war Tiger 100s. Has anyone on the forum got any pictures they could post or even a link to a picture on the web?

Offline Martin_UK

• Advanced Member
  • Have Triumphs....and a very large toolkit...
    • View Profile
Re: Triumph Bronze Head
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 11:35:58 PM »
As far as I know the bronze head is exactly the same as the standard iron heads (except for the casting material of course), possibly with the exception of the casting number adjacent to the spark plug holes being different.
There was a bronze head on ebay a few months ago for circa £2000. Prior to that the last genuine one I saw up close was on 1939 T100 reg No HDH 364 (featured on the cover of Classic Motorcycle in 1984ish) which I believe was sold to Holland approx 12 years ago. As with all rare parts these days, there are fake bronze heads out there which are basically iron heads with varying shades of gold/bronze paint applied.
If you are looking for one good luck !!. I've been looking for a sensibly priced one for the last 6 years.
I've been told that they had a habit of cracking when they were new between the bolt holes especially the centre holding down bolts and were then replaced with the standard iron head.
I'll see if I can find a photo and post.

Regards,

Martin

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 10:11:30 AM »
Thanks Martin, £2,000 !!!! That's just about what my 65 Bonnie's worth.... It's not surprising less scrupulous people are painting up iron heads gold, but pretty outrageous none the less. Anyway, thanks for the reply - I'd still like to see a picture if you've got one but, like yourself, I think two grand is a bit steep, even for a cool (and cooler running) bit of kit like that.

Best of luck in your search. HN

Offline Searchguru

• Advanced Member
  • Suck, squeeze, bang, blow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 05:22:17 PM »
If you find one and take your special bronze magnet with you it would be easy enough to establish it's credentials!

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 07:45:02 PM »
Bronze magnet!!!! Is that otherwise known as a pen knife to scrape away the bronze coloured Humbrol enamel?  ;)

If I was laying out £2,000 I'd probably want it sent off to a lab for analysis......

Offline Searchguru

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 09:05:31 PM »
I can sell you a 'bronze magnet'. It works equally well with any non-ferrous metal. Ten quid to you.

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2008, 09:57:46 PM »
Thanks for the offer - I've never heard of a magnet that sticks to non ferrous metals except induction coils. That's definitely something for another type of forum though....

Offline Searchguru

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 07:03:15 AM »
Henry
Think about it. A standard magnet will stick to a cast iron head, painted or not. No need for a penknife etc. My spoof (bronze)magnets, wil stick to any ferrous metal and will NOT stick to non-ferrous metals. Hence a 'bronze magnet' will stick to a pretend bronze head and not to a proper bronze head. They don't stick to wood either!!!!! (If I used smileys there would be guffawing one here). Cheers.

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 10:34:22 AM »
Hah!! You could make a million with that idea mate!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D

Maybe the fakers out there should put away the bronze paint for the moment and get out the wood chizels. How else are they going to beat this new magnet technology???  ;D

Offline Martin_UK

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 05:06:03 PM »
Well, after 18 months I've now had the chance to put that theory to the test and it works !!!

Offline Searchguru

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 10:24:50 PM »
What? Bronze magnets?

Offline Martin_UK

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 02:03:33 AM »
Yes Bronze magnets, they work perfectly, you should give Draper or Machine Mart a call and sell them the idea !!

Offline alianco

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 09:51:35 PM »
Hi All,
I just discovered this forum and topic and thought I'd reply. I owned a 1939 tiger 100 with the bronze head for many years. I bought it for 325 quid in the late seventies when I was an art student and sold it around the end of the nineties if memory serves. This may not be correct, but when I did the first rebuild and went to buy new valves, guides and springs I was told that the exhaust valves were of the larger, post-war type and guess this could be the difference between the bronze and iron heads. The bike had been raced after the war at Brands Hatch and came with what I was told was a McCandless swinging arm conversion, twin carbs and a finned rear brake hub and drilled sprocket from its racing days. Also 9.5-1 pistons which made it fly until in my ignorance I punched a hole in one using too low grade petrol. I kept it running in many guises with little or no money, but it was incredibly reliable, my only transport, taking me through many winters, snow and all, and even a tour round France. I sold it when I left the country for some years to guy who said he wanted to race it, but I never kept up with him and haven't been to the vintage races for many,many years. Not a huge amount to add to the sum of knowledge on bronze heads, but a rather pleasant nostalgia trip for me. Cheers

Offline rogerwilko

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 01:04:19 AM »
 Speaking of bronze heads, coincidentley there are 2 of them for matchy singles on Oz ebay at the moment, one starting at $2,000!!

Offline Martin_UK

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 06:54:42 PM »
Hi All,
I just discovered this forum and topic and thought I'd reply. I owned a 1939 tiger 100 with the bronze head for many years. I bought it for 325 quid in the late seventies when I was an art student and sold it around the end of the nineties if memory serves. This may not be correct, but when I did the first rebuild and went to buy new valves, guides and springs I was told that the exhaust valves were of the larger, post-war type and guess this could be the difference between the bronze and iron heads. The bike had been raced after the war at Brands Hatch and came with what I was told was a McCandless swinging arm conversion, twin carbs and a finned rear brake hub and drilled sprocket from its racing days. Also 9.5-1 pistons which made it fly until in my ignorance I punched a hole in one using too low grade petrol. I kept it running in many guises with little or no money, but it was incredibly reliable, my only transport, taking me through many winters, snow and all, and even a tour round France. I sold it when I left the country for some years to guy who said he wanted to race it, but I never kept up with him and haven't been to the vintage races for many,many years. Not a huge amount to add to the sum of knowledge on bronze heads, but a rather pleasant nostalgia trip for me. Cheers

Hello Alianco, the bronze head I have has larger inlet valves and the exhaust valves are standard, haven't run it yet but will probably have to tinker to get it running right. I have a picture of a T100 with Mc Candless rear springing and a bronze head which was for sale a few years back, but don't know how to post pictures on here, any help appreciated ?

Regards,

Martin