Author Topic: Twin carbs  (Read 6698 times)

Offline royal oilfield

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Twin carbs
« on: December 25, 2008, 12:04:45 AM »
was there a twin carb head ever made for pre-unit BSA twins?

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Twin carbs
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 12:40:18 AM »
Yes.
L.A.B.

Offline royal oilfield

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 09:17:23 PM »
cheers,ive mentioned it to a few peeps but they said not.I was thinking it must have been a bike with a 2 into 1 manifold that I had seen.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 09:58:27 PM »
ive mentioned it to a few peeps but they said not.I was thinking it must have been a bike with a 2 into 1 manifold that I had seen.

If you have seen a genuine twin carb head, then it was probably fitted to an A7 iron head 1948/49 "Star Twin" model. But the twin carb head wasn't used for long before they went back to using a single carb head.

Also I've heard of the odd twin carb A7 alloy Shooting Star head, and some twin carb manifolds were available at the time, but that's all I think, and no 650 A10 models had twin carb heads as far as I know?  

http://www.bsaoc.demon.co.uk/a7spec.htm

"ZA7S.101 ZA7S.101 A7 Star Twin introduced. As A7 but with slightly higher compression motor, twin carbs, spring frame as standard. Finish as A7 but with matt silver tank panels double lined in maroon, special Star Twin transfer. Wheel rims chrome with matt silver centres lined in maroon. "

http://beezanet.com/twincarb/history.htm

« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 10:04:54 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline Blue

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 11:58:15 AM »
no 650 A10 models had twin carb heads as far as I know?  

No pre-unit 650 left the production line with a twin-carb head, but unknown to many people BSA did infact manufacture a number of twin-carb heads for sale as spares; as far as i'm aware they were really only available in the US for racing purposes and would number no more than a few hundred.  Nevertheless they sometimes come up on ebay, if i spot one i'll post it here for curiosity's sake.

Also I've seen people make their own twin-carb heads by welding up and re-machining a standard alloy piece, but you would be able to tell they're not genuine

Offline thunderbird

• Advanced Member
  • thunderbirds do go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 06:16:40 PM »
just found this site www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/9472/photos.html  if you look on this site there is some reference to bsa twin carbs. i am certainly no bsa expert,just interested why bsa never really took to twin carbs as triumph did. also this site http://beezanet.com/twincarb/history.htm
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 06:57:52 PM by thunderbird »

Offline royal oilfield

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 01:40:19 PM »
Maybe a lot of people saw single carb motors as being more reliable,less to go wrong carb balancing etc ?

Offline Blue

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 01:52:48 PM »
I expect there would have been a lot of factors responsible for BSA's reluctance to produce twin-carb heads.  For a start they didn't have any positive experience with road-racing which is so often a catalyst for performance-enhancing parts/models (triumph brought out the bonnie and daytona tiger 100 off the back of racing successes).  Furthermore, the company were reluctant to encourage road-racing in case any losses would dirty the BSA name - so reluctant were they that they may be seen to have actively discouraged the practice by producing less racey parts.

In addition, it must be remembered that a lot of what the British motorcycle industry relied on was fashion, and it was often Triumph rather than BSA who set the standards.  When triumph released the bonneville in 1959 it set a trend and demand for twin-carbs.  Norton and Royal Enfield dually followed suit, but it took bsa several years to release a twin carb model -  a fact perhaps explainable by their desire to introduce and ground the new 'unit' models.  i.e. why spend money making dies to manufacture sporty bits for an antiquated (pre-unit) model, particularly at a time when so much expense was going into tooling up for a50/a65 production?  Some might argue they should've released a twin-carb unit model straight away, but BSA seem to have always been conservative, at best, and probably wanted to ensure their name for reliability remained intact at least for the first few years of the new machines.

Which leads to another explanation - conservative management.  The old adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' fits perfectly with anglo saxons in general, but i reckon the british motorcycle management took it to extremes.

anyway, that was quite the essay, i hope somebody reads it *and no doubt shoot the whole argument down in flames), but that's how i explain the lack of bsa twin-carb pre-unit twins

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 08:55:28 PM »
Seems good to me, other than the management didn't forsee that time when bikes would become playthings rather than daily transport, and plan models accordingly.

Seems like they also didn't understand that some people just to ride at weekends, and not grind in valves,remake connections, etc etc... ;)