Author Topic: 1929 bsa sloper info sought..  (Read 6590 times)

Offline Dangles

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
1929 bsa sloper info sought..
« on: April 28, 2009, 10:51:16 AM »
Hi all, I have recently come into possession of a 1929 BSA 350 OHV sloper. The bike is complete apart from a rear wheel, front wheel axle, primary outer cover and mudguards, handlebars and controls. I have other BSA's but nothing of this vintage and am seeking any information I can on this bike, espec handbooks, etc. Cheers all

Offline Justin_Faithfull

• Advanced Member
  • ELEPHANTS - WHERE?
    • View Profile
Re: 1929 bsa sloper info sought..
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:09:19 PM »
Check out the following links for handbooks, parts books & instruction books, aswell as other information for your BSA.
http://www.brucemainsmith.com/index.html
http://www.vmcc.net/
http://www.bsaownersclub.co.uk/
BMS & the VMCC sell photocopies of literature, & I am sure the BSA owners club can assist you aswell.
Hope this is helpful.
Justin

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 06:27:23 AM »
Additional to the info Justin has given you above the old weekly magazine "Motor Cycling" printed a regular Service Series in the 1950's covering old bikes which at that time were still in regular use. Each week they coverd a different bike.
They did a terrific coverage of the BSA Sloper over two weeks in 1955.
The exact references are pages 78 & 79 of  May 19, 1955 and pages 120 & 121 of May 26, 1955. They go into extensive detail and give Fine-Limit dimensions for all wearing surface in both the engine and gear box, sizes of wheel bearings, head stem dimensions and so on.
The VMCC library that Justin gave you above has a full run of "MotorCycling" and can provide copies for you. It will make life much easier.
Cheers,

Offline Dangles

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 08:53:11 AM »
Guys, thanks so much for your advice. As you say it will make life much easier.

Not sure if you can make out much of the gearbox in the picture attached but I was talking to someone who knows something of these bikes, although he has the larger varieties, and he believes my gearbox may be from a flat tanker??

I will check out the links you suggested and see if the answer is there anyway.

Thanks again,

Julian

Offline rick

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 04:02:14 PM »
Hi Dangles,

Iwas just scrolling to look for a teply to a question I posted 2 years back when I came across your posting.

I have been restoring my L29 over some 4 years I must confess the last two have been prety static due to other work commitments .howver I'm back in the grove so to speak.

As I donot come across tomany L29 owners its good to see some one else restoring one.

If I can be of assistance dfrop me a line

Rick