Author Topic: im new and need help :)  (Read 3701 times)

Offline kngkong

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
im new and need help :)
« on: March 12, 2009, 04:53:02 AM »
HI there, new to the forum and new to brit bikes in general. Can someone help me identify this bike. Here is a short description.

"Originally an M8 with M10 OHC motor installed very early on, I believe that the M10 chassis is identical to the M8 frame and cycle parts."

Does that sound about right? All info appreciated about anything that looks wrong. Having trouble finding pictures of M10s. Is that the correct tank?

Thanks everyone!
john
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 04:53:46 AM by kngkong »

Offline BEAMA

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: im new and need help :)
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:10:15 PM »
HI JOHN.
AJS M8 OHV'S WERE BUILT IN 1929 SERIAL NO'S 93046-93430.
94681-.
M10 OHC'S  BUILT THE SAME YEAR SERIAL NO'S 120072-120100.
89620-89752
THE M10 HAD A 23/4 GALLON FUEL TANK, THE ONE YOU SHOW LOOKS LIKE A 21/2 GALLON TANK WHICH PROBABLY IS M8.
I CANT BE SURE BUT I BELIEVE THE FRAMES ETC ARE THE SAME ON BOTH MODELS.
THESE AJS OHC ENGINES ARE FABULOUS, THEY REV HIGH AND BEING IN A VERY LIGHT FRAME GO LIKE THE WIND. IF YOU GET A CHANCE TO RIDE ONE DONT HESITATE !

BEAMA
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 07:11:17 PM by BEAMA »

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 09:27:31 PM »
Vintage AJS are very easy to identify because first the number on both engine and frame were identical and secondly they identified the year by a letter prefix. As in your example, the letter M for 1929.
One quick look shows whether a bike is all original or not plus what year it is.
They were a manufacturer who really made it easy for people like us to identify them years and years later plus they made highly desirable bikes anyway.
Its very easy to get copies of the original sales catalogues from the VMCC Library for comparison purposes but understand that factories back then would happily alter things to suit a buyer if it meant a sale and they also had a habit of changing things for overseas markets so you do get unique variations from bike to bike that are very hard to identify as original or not.
Lovely bike.

Offline kngkong

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 09:32:54 PM »
Hi guys,
Thanks for the help. So sounds like the engine frame configuration could have been an original set up? Been wondering about the value of the bike since the frame/engine numbers dont match. I know its a broad answer but what could a bike like this be worth in running condition? INterested in buying, love the engine!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 09:33:21 PM by kngkong »