Author Topic: RAM-AIR SYSTEMS  (Read 5600 times)

Offline daddymull

• Advanced Member
  • gotham city needs superheroes like me
    • View Profile
RAM-AIR SYSTEMS
« on: February 26, 2008, 02:18:15 AM »
what did ram -air systems on bikes of the 70s do?                                                                                              is it in use in modern bikes?                                     i had a 175 ram air suzuki!!is my memory correct?
BATMAN HAS LEFT THE BUILDING......HONEST..

Offline ajaytibsy

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: RAM-AIR SYSTEMS
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 04:10:32 AM »
cool it man, cool it

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 04:30:34 AM »
what did ram -air systems on bikes of the 70s do?

Supposedly the ram air system channelled air down onto the cylinder head/s to aid cooling, but was always considered to be a bit of a gimmick.

i had a 175 ram air suzuki!! is my memory correct?

- Not quite, it would have been a GT185 twin. Other 'Ram Air' models were the GT250 twins, and the GT380 triples (there's one in the back of my garage somewhere?) and GT550 triples.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 04:33:21 AM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline daddymull

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 06:38:32 AM »
thanks l.a.b.185cc sounds right,seemingly a 2-stroke as well,dont even remember that!!old age eh!!!

Offline Searchguru

• Advanced Member
  • Suck, squeeze, bang, blow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 07:02:55 PM »
I think the smallest "ram-air" Suzy was the GT125. I had both a 250 and a 380, neither of which seemed to suffer in any way if the ram-air was removed. The 380 usually ran better without it as wet weather caused the plug caps or HT leads to short out. I can't remember why it was easier to remove the alloy cover than to replace the plug caps but it seemed sensible back then. There is still a ram-air system in use though it serves a different purpose and is effective. It is the air intakes in the fairings of bikes like the ZZR1100 etc. which channels the air into the carbs. The faster you go the faster the air is forced down the bikes throat. Almost turbo-like (or ram-air).
I remember seeing drag bikes, with Brit twin engines, with the cylinder heads turned round. The bellmouth of the carb/s facing forward (for the ram-air effect) and the exhaust straight out the back. I assume it was beneficial to their times but wouldn't have helped the life of the engine with all that unfiltered crap forced down the inlet.

Offline daddymull

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 10:30:45 PM »
thanks searchguru most helpful,it turns out lots of these bikes in garages everywhere,might even make a project out of one,thanks again!!