Author Topic: Why are the bikes overpriced?  (Read 18675 times)

Offline Goldy

• Advanced Member
  • Restore, Ride, Relive
    • View Profile
Re: Why are the bikes overpriced?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 03:42:16 AM »
It's not just bikes. There is a used BSA A10 centre stand just sold on E bay for £103.      The worlds gone mad.

Offline Oldgit

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 12:32:43 AM »
I know that prices match demand I understand the principles of supply an demand, if people are paying these prices then that's what they must be worth right?

My point is why are they overpriced on this site? I know the value of bikes as I go to many auctions and I am fully aware of prices certain bikes are fetching. I was merely asking are people actually getting the prices they are asking? The G5 for sale at 4,000 euros, are you sure? a messed about R100RS for 20,000 euros? Bikes can be had far cheaper elsewhere.

Offline bikerisme

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2009, 02:29:53 AM »
just rebuilt the engine on a 350 single i couldnt believe what its cost so maybe when i sell it i will have to take this into acount also people seem to be buying as an investment which is maybe pushing up prices?

johnnyboy-wonder57

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2011, 09:44:24 PM »
Hi,
I think that lots of bikes and parts seem to be over-priced, also I think it is part of the same symptom that caused the housing market to collapse and the banks to go to the wall, Greed & Speculation, sorry but the truth often hurts,  values and costs are often over-inflated.  I do not think that the auction houses hype policy helps either, the more something brings the more money those that market it and sell it make, the more everybody else believes/thinks they can get  in £'s for things and this endless speculative cycle goes on & on eventually hurting and killing off a hobby and an interest that many people enjoyed across the class-divide; because in the end  it all goes the same way,  "titsup".  When money dries up as more and more of it goes to fewer and fewer people, then all kinds of things and motorcycles too, will become in time, valueless.

For most  real enthusiasts, values  is secondary to the pleasure derived, eventually over-confident sellers and investors will be left with egg on their face and probably be deeply unhappy, and why because,  there mistaken "pots of gold" machines can/will  wear out, they rust externally and internally, (condensation see)  and if not used seem to deteriorate  but now far worse is somebody trying to tell me that a "so & so" the pinnacle of British engineering is worth some inordinate extraordinary price, which a "pleb"  like me no longer can afford.

If you put all the bikes in safe-storage then in theory prices will go up as there aren't any around any more to buy, but this is often a ruse to increase values,  race bikes are different, road bikes are much more of a risk, money does seem to become increasingly valueless, but so can investments overnight, this last trend in speculative values, I find more galling than those experienced in youth,  just look how football fans have been ripped-off by the same trend, investment & speculation in that sport and unless the tide turns, the same thing will happen in the motorcycling world, I fear its almost too late, to stop this Lemming- like activity,  real Gold doesn't rust, bikes do, simple as that really!
If you want the "real-thing", a good experience, buy a replica, engineered better than the original item and R&Ded over & above the Real-Thing, with five years plus of improvements built in, that the factory never got round to doing, because the bean-counters and Management didn't think at the time  they were necessary, still an expensive route but....

Cheers

JBW   

Offline Welsh Wizard

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2011, 11:41:15 PM »
You also have to take into account that the supply is limited, the world has grown since most of these were made, no replacements, and every year you see another old bike being parted out, crashed or stolen, so the numbers get less and less, while the number of people wanting them is growing, thats why the pension funds are buying up good examples as investments, and these also reduce the stock available. how ever within the next 10 to 15 years we should start to see the baby boomer dieing of, result should be a number of collection hitting the market, which to some degree will cause a slowing down of the price rises ( max also cause a mini slump) but over all the supply can never increase beyound what is already been sold and this number can only ever decrease.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 05:50:25 PM »
Yeah, it's a bit like my neighbour's house. Half a million quid he wants for it, so I told him no way is it worth that, why it cost about a grand to build and the first bloke who bought it paid £1250 for it, so he should sell it for no more than two grand to account for the new bathroom and bog he put in....and he told me not to be so f**king stupid it's supply and demand innit and that's what they go for and and...ad infinitum.

All bollix of course. People pay what they want to pay; nothing to do with greedy this or over-inflated that. I'd like to pay five hundred quid for a Black Shadow, but I can't. That much will only buy some piece of supposed "classic" Jap (oxymoron) but there you go. Similarly I ain't selling my Spagthorpe Lurcher for £2/10s either.....