Author Topic: Battery exploded and set my bike on fire.  (Read 4058 times)

Offline slip101

• View Profile
    • Email
Battery exploded and set my bike on fire.
« on: June 09, 2010, 05:38:08 AM »
I replaced a battery to do some trouble shooting and it back fired thus setting my 1971 triumph daytona on fire at a red light. Any ideas why the F this happened? Voltage regulation...

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Battery exploded and set my bike on fire.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 07:36:07 AM »
Oh dear oh dear oh dear.

You have my deepest and most profound sympathies; my Guzzi Le Mans self imolated some time ago after a backfire, so I know what it's like.  Mine was a total, abject, complete and utter loss.

What sort of ignition system did you have?

My Guzzi had a very exotic and expensive ignition system that ran at crankshaft speed, providing a lovely fat spark at the fixed advance point before the top of the exhaust stroke, as well as on the compression stroke.  Of course "valve overlap" means that the inlet valve opens before the end of the exhaust stroke.  In my case, I primed it, cranked it, and it didn't start, but came to rest with the left cylinder at the top of the exhaust stroke.  The spark ignited the fuel-air mix in the chamber, which blew back through the part open inlet valve, causing the very rich mixture in and around the carb to ignite, blowing the filter off and spreading flaming mixture everywhere.  Furious engine cranking would not come close to sucking the inferno into the hole, so I hastily dismounted.  Ultimately it burnt the tyres off the rims, and the only casting apparently unaffected was the rear bevel box.  The engine and gearbox, castings melted,  could be described as comprehensively rooted.

This is not a new phenomenon.   It is a special feature of crankshaft speed ignitions when used in conjunction with the Otto cycle.  No, Bob, this is not supposed to be a Villiers advertisement!!  My 1933 New Imperial uses (as did many lightweights of the thirties) a crankshaft speed ignition, but was also fitted with a flame trap from new.  Although technically called a "Strangler" for starting purposes, it is in fact a Davy Lamp.

JFerg

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 08:27:21 AM »
I replaced a battery to do some trouble shooting and it back fired thus setting my 1971 triumph daytona on fire at a red light. Any ideas why the F this happened? Voltage regulation...

No idea, but then your post is unclear. You need to expand more on what you did and what actually happened.

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 10:06:50 AM »
Do you have a crankshaft speed ignition, ie; with the pick-up on the crankshaft, or a half-time ignition with the pick-up driven off one camshaft?

One gives a spark at every rise of the piston, the other only gives a spark at the top of teh compression stroke.

JFerg

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 08:41:59 AM »
Hey, who cut this thread and removed some replies... :-\

Offline slip101

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 12:55:30 PM »
Yeah... what happened here?