Author Topic: WHEEL BUILDING  (Read 3785 times)

Offline sTe140Ve

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
WHEEL BUILDING
« on: September 11, 2010, 03:36:47 PM »
Having read a Classic Bike article on wheel building I decided to have a go at it for myself. I have bought a pair of stainless rims and spoke sets from Central Wheel Components for my 1976 T140V (with front and rear discs) and by carefully and patiently following the instructions I was delighted to find that the front wheel was built and trued quite easily. I did however notice that whilst the inner measurement of the new rim matched that of the original, the outer measurement was 1.5mm greater (70.15mm compared to 68.52mm). I ignored this and adjusted the offset slightly.

However, I am now about to start building the rear wheel and although the inner rim measurement is fine, the distance between the outer edges of the rim is a whole 5mm greater on the new wheel. Given that the offset is supposed to be 5/16" from the disc face of the hub to the outer edge of the rim, how should I correctly adjust the offset to compensate for the fatter rim?   

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: WHEEL BUILDING
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 04:34:29 PM »
the distance between the outer edges of the rim is a whole 5mm greater on the new wheel. Given that the offset is supposed to be 5/16" from the disc face of the hub to the outer edge of the rim, how should I correctly adjust the offset to compensate for the fatter rim?   

= Deduct 2.5mm from your original 5/16" offset measurement.
L.A.B.

Online Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 09:47:20 AM »
Blimey, nothing like mixing your measurements.... ;D

Alternatively mount the wheel in the bike, and then adjust the offset to align with the frame spine and front wheel (assuming the front rim is central between the fork tubes, and I've never seen one yet that wasn't..)

Offline sTe140Ve

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 08:07:51 PM »
Thanks guys. :)