Author Topic: FWW bike  (Read 4165 times)

Offline ken1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
FWW bike
« on: September 07, 2011, 05:40:16 PM »

My grandfather was in the Royal Engineers and amongst other pictures I found this one. It is barely 2 inches across so I can't do much to enhance it. But you've helped before so I wonder if anyone could suggest what this might be and how the Engineers would use them.

Ken

Offline enfield49

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: FWW bike
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 08:10:52 PM »
It looks like a model H triumph to me. Graham

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 08:55:56 PM »
I would say a Triumph too, although with all that baggage, it's quite difficult to see.

There are many possible uses within the engineers but it's worth bearing in mind that the Royal Corps of Signals was not formed until 1920  and prior to that time, the duties, including the first despatch rider services were performed by the Royal Engineers Signals Service.

Where was the photo taken ? It looks like southern Europe.  Certainly not Northern France or Flanders.

Offline ken1

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 09:31:05 AM »
Thanks for the answers - at least you seem to agree!

I have a number of other photos though not with bikes. They all show a hot and arid and featureless background but I honestly don't know where he was. It could be the Middle East or Serbia perhaps? In one or two there are pith helmets and he's in shirtsleeves so it is somewhere hot.

Ken

yebbut

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 11:56:04 AM »
Its a Model H Triumph, best bet would be Palestine, Syria, Iraq where a lot of action went on.

Ever read  'Seven  Pillars of Wisdom'?

A bike such as a model H simple and reliable would be a sensible choice out there.

They were a lovely bike, I  had use of one once, sweet as a nut and these days a very relaxing ride.