Author Topic: Statik bikes  (Read 8932 times)

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Statik bikes
« on: October 05, 2011, 12:07:26 PM »
Too many really but I stopped going to pubs after an accident and had some spare cash.  If I didn't buy bikes I would only waste it so here goes.

Sunbeam S8 from 1951, currantly being put back together after lying in pieces for 18 years.  Ready to set the timing and fire up but too busy now and running low on weekends.  Non standard bit is the rear wheel from a S7 but I think it looks better.  Going to convert it to foot clutch and hand gears because my left hand doesn't work too well on british clutches.   

Triumph Trophy 650 fron 1973.  Built as a BSA T65 Thunderbolt which is an oil in frame BSA A65 with a Triumph engine.  I wish they left the BSA badges on it. 

Suzuki DR750BIG from 1989.  Big single with twin carbs, bit of an animal but I really like it.  Very standard which is quite rare for for a BIG.  Most have been turned into desert replicas. 

Suzuki GS1100G from 1984.  Just bought this in Ireland and brought it home at the weekend.  Bit risky to do that but all went very smoothly.  In the process of registering it so not ridden it too far, just a test ride. 

There are a couple of others but mostly in pieces.  I will post more if anyone is interested. 

Stuart.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:21:18 PM by statik »

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Statik bikes
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 12:12:45 PM »
Triumph Trophy 650 fron 1973.  Built as a BSA T65 Thunderbolt which is an oil in frame BSA A65 with a Triumph engine.  I wish they left the BSA badges on it.

It's ALL Triumph.

The only BSA bits were the badges!
L.A.B.

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 12:41:24 PM »
Never knew that.  The stories I've been told are all bo***cks by the look of it. 

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 08:24:52 PM »

My latest addition, the Moto Guzzi. 

Been thinking about my bike clubs, I'm a member of three which are associated to particular makes.  The problems I have are, most are based in the north of England so when I go on a local rally I'm doing 200 miles to get there to go for a drive with the group then 200 miles back.  I also drive a lot for my work it's getting a bit too much.  I mostly ride my bikes in Kent now and don't bother with club runs and just go with friends or on my own.  I also found that clubs are not very good for finding spare parts anyway and I hunt down bits myself. 

Just like to know what clubs members here use in the South of England.  I was thinking of VMCC who seem to have a very good knowledge of  many makes and models. 

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 10:30:11 AM »
Just an update to the Sunbeam, I was going to change it to hand gears and foot clutch because it so hard to operate but I overcame the problem.  I made a new clutch arm about half an inch longer from a piece of steel and case-hardened it.  Smooth as silk now and my gammy left hand can cope.  I was out on it at the weekend for the first time in about 20 years and it was OK.  The brakes were useless but got better after a few miles. 

Offline banquo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Moto-Guzzi Nuovo Falcone Forum
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 03:42:39 PM »
Sounds like a good mod to the S8.

Is the Guzzi a Super Alce or what?
All the best things in life are enjoyed at a relaxed pace, including Islay single malt, sex and old motorcycles, but not necessarily in that order... ;-)

Offline statik

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 06:25:46 PM »
I have a lot of trouble with my left hand since I ruined it trail riding three years ago.  British clutches are normally a bit on the hard side so had to do something. 

I'm running out of case-hardening powder, had mine for about 40 years so it's done well.  I can't believe how much it is now.  They want £40 for half a kilo.  I think I paid £5 for a sack full (and chips were 2p etc. etc.etc).

A fat back tyre fills the massive mudguard nicely.  My hub was ruined on the back of the Sunbeam S8 so I got a secondhand one and it happened to have the rim and tyre complete.  It wasn't a planned modification. 

The Moto Guzzi is a 1955 Super Alce Pre Falcone Ex-army bike.  Don't know its history except it came from Southern Ireland.  I'm writing a about it in the European Bike section. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:31:35 PM by statik »