Author Topic: Cold Blooded 1982 Yamaha xj550  (Read 4316 times)

Offline Conundrum

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Cold Blooded 1982 Yamaha xj550
« on: December 30, 2012, 10:05:58 PM »
I'm looking for some advice on how to keep my 82' Yamaha xj550 running during the winter. For a little bit of context, the bike was running well during the summer, but as soon as it got cold, battery problem started ... very annoying, but a new battery has helped quite a bit.

Last night i was out (Denver,CO) and temps dropped to around 10-15 degrees F. No luck getting her started. I walked back to my bike this morning and got it started on the second turn. It was about 40 degrees out.

What do you guys think is the next step in weather-proofing my bike? I'm new to motorcycle maintenance, but i'm pumped to follow any advice that allows me to ride later into the season. I'm hoping there are some seasoned year-round riders that know what's up.

Thanks,
Sean

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cold Blooded 1982 Yamaha xj550
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 10:12:27 PM »
Does the choke circuit on your bike fully work - and make any difference ??
Many bikes simply will not start cold without choke.

The FIRST major thing to look at with starting difficulties is the spark plugs.
They should be cleaned, and gapped to the correct gap.
And if that doesn't help, try one ones.

Along with cleaned (or new) air cleaners, and fresh oil in the engine (if its about due for a change).
And correctly gapped and set points for the ignition (if it doesn't have electronic ignition, don't know XJ550 that well).
Along with wiping clean all the spark plug leads, around the coil and wiring etc.

Carbs all synched and idling well when warm ?
Fresh gas in the tank - old fuel seems to evaporate all the lighter fractions- that make it easy to start.

If it STILL doesn't start, try reducing the gap on the sparkplugs, not by much ( a few thou).
If that works, as a last resort, consult back here.

P.S. Happy New Years all.

Offline Conundrum

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Cold Blooded 1982 Yamaha xj550
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 03:01:06 PM »
@R appreciate the advice.

The spark plugs and gaping is something i''ll look into this weekend. I think the carbs are operating correctly, but honestly i don't want to mess with them unless i have to.

You're absolutely right about the gas. I've run into that problem a couple of times.

It ran well yesterday. Took it from my garage into 30 degree weather, worked out, and then took it home in 20 degree weather. If it could do that every day i would be a happy, happy man.

Will report back.

Happy new year.

Best,
Sean