Author Topic: Info site: Old Finlay Bros dealership in Melbourne Australia 1900-1960  (Read 4994 times)

Offline AdrianfromOz

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hi
Anyone on here who lives in Melbourne or knows Melbourne
may be interested in this fascinating web site:

http://www.finlaybrothershistory.info/default.htm

Cheers, Adrian

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
I think Finlays miscalculated the market and were slow to move in to Japanese brands. They never got an agency for any of the major makes. I do remember as a teenager looking in their window at this beautifully finished Japanese bike (make forgotten) and going inside to look more closely. I remember being very impressed with it. Lovely paint, magnificent alloy castings and controls. It was very smart.
I then noticed a new Ariel Leader at the back of the showroom, the only new one I'd ever seen in Melbourne. I could see why they  didn't put it up beside the Japanese bike. It did not compare well and looked really cheap and nasty. Very poor paintwork and poorly finished pressings. As an Ariel rider at the time I was very disappointed. No wonder Finlays never sold many.
Its surprising how some memories just stick with you and I've never forgotten the comparison. Finlays just seemed to fade away after that.
Cheers,

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
It says they were bought out by the Sth Australian BSA distributor in 1960.
Neither not exactly a small dealer at the time.
And a bit before japan was even involved really ??

Lotta money spent on that history/website, very prim and proper.
Needs some financials to show how many bikes were involved, looks big ?

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Japanese bikes came on the market in Melbourne well before they appeared in England. Mayfair Motors imported the first Hondas in 1956, the first Yamahas by Milledges in 1957. Mayfair Motors also imported Suzuki in the late 50's but I don't know the exact year. I do know I had a couple of year of  Suzuki ownership up by the time they appeared in England in 1962.

There was a broad range of makes on the market here  in the late 50's of which the English makes were fast disappearing and Japanese coming in.
Cheers,