Author Topic: Help to ID this springer fork set and part bike frame  (Read 10159 times)

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: Help to ID this springer fork set and part bike frame
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2016, 01:45:22 AM »

Well not Ultima! Close, but no bananas. (There's a phrase that Google translate will have problems with.)

Not, it's not British, although it could be. Stick with me.

Zundapp in Germany patented a forged frame in 1929. The frame described in the patent used steel forgings for all parts of the frame, which was bolted together from a number of smaller parts. Even the fork blades were steel forgings: one for each side. The main spine of the frame is the parts which encompasses the steering head, the tank rail, and the short part of the down tube. These are labelled 1, 2 and 5 in the patent drawing. Everything else bolts on to this.

In real life Zundapp built a range of models using frames like this before they went to pressed steel frames. The photo of the 1929 Z200 should look pretty familiar?

And the British connection? At the 1930 Show the Newmount motorcycle was announced: basically a British-badged version of the Zundapp. One of its features was that the fork blades were identical left to right. Very useful.

So there you have it: Zundapp or Newmount.

Mystery solved?

Leon

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2016, 03:52:02 AM »

And the Newmount: June 1930 advert from Graces Guide http://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Newmount_Trading_Co

Leon

Offline Jonny The Goat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2016, 10:18:59 AM »
Well done Leon. I thought I was good and finding things out but on this one you have it spot on :) Have had a look and it seems to be a 200 or 250 from 29 to mid 30's ish It has the more common fork blades though they are also identical with a spare brake holder sticking outwards on one side. The cast ones on some of there bikes look interesting. I dont think I would really 100% trust those.  I wonder if both Newmount and Zundapp used Doherty leavers? If only the British Newmount did then bobs your uncle (another one for Google translate :) .
   Cheers, Jon

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2016, 01:05:02 PM »

Since the Newmount had British lighting, carby and chain, it may have had British handlebar levers as well. That said, you might have trouble proving in court the remains to be Newmount rather than Zundapp based on one lonely lever!

Leon

Offline Jonny The Goat

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2016, 02:49:15 PM »
I liked the reference to a Rudge Python in the Ultamas guy Email :) Sadly dont think I will be able to get that linked in ether :) Will see if anyone wants the frame part on the Zundapp owners club site if there is one. Will set about the forks next week and see what can be done with them and if they can be used on my bits and pieces special I am knocking up. Obviously if they turn out to be worth a fortune to a Newmount owner ( a bike I have not come across before) then they can have them and I will find something else ;)
                Cheers, Jon