Author Topic: Advise on my first vintage purchase  (Read 18004 times)

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: Advise on my first vintage purchase
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2019, 09:50:42 PM »
Just popped up at Andy's.  I like everything about these 2 bikes other than the small engine sizes.  I'm also assuming the frames are very small.

http://www.andybuysbikes.com/bikeshtml/07352ctn.html#  I really like this one.  Cant find much info on it though.

I had a thumb through the show issues of The Motor Cycle looking at Carlton. In late 1936 the 1937 model was described, and more-or-less that same description and illustrations appeared in late 1937 and late 1938. No obvious changes. A "major" feature of the bikes were the legshields, missing for the bike on sale now. Finish was black and chrome.

I could find no mention of the "doubled up" rear frame on Andy's model. And what are the springs? A sprung parcel rack? I wonder if this model Carlton had some special application in mind - perhaps something war related?

Cheers

Leon

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2019, 09:59:11 PM »

Strengthened rear frame, and sprung rack. For carrying ...a radio set? ...a delicate pillion passenger? ...

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2019, 11:44:14 PM »

So someone asks for advice then does the opposite. I think that’s standard human nature. They don’t want advice. They want approval. We’re all grumpy old men and can’t be bothered to play the game. Mini me just has the shortest fuse.

By the way. The Carlton engine was originally fitted to a DOT three wheel delivery thing. It’s okay, only Villiers nutters like me would notice that but I do like to know these things.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2019, 01:42:47 AM »
I should clarify. They want approval of what they have already decided to do, not advice on what they should do.
Cheers,

PS I agree Léon. What on earth was going on with that Carlton? Why the weird and wonderful pack rack and strengthened frame. The mind boggles. If it was something interesting I’m sure Andy T would have mentioned it in his sales blurb.

Offline mini-me

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2019, 10:03:22 AM »
 Agreed Mini-me has got a short fuse, after years of having my goodwill abused I can spot one of these  fools very quickly. There are a number of giveaways in the subjects chosenand how  they ask and respond. Piddling french two stokes area common denominator.

Wasted far too much time over the years,the net has made it worse. >:(

There is sadly an element around old bikes that attracts them.I expect most of us  as youths spent saturdays wandering around bikeshops drooling over stuff we couldn't afford, hoping someone had put the wrong price tag on that desirable bike,but this amount of daft questions would have had us of the premises very quickly.

I love my older bikes,had years of fun with them, learnt a lot,met some good blokes,wasted a lot of money inthe process, one day I will have to pass them on, but to who? not some idiot dreaming about a hardtail blobber hand shifter that thinks girder forks are a fashion accessory. I'd  rather be buried with them.

I like to pass my experiences on to a budding motorcylist that will continue the hobby, Not some sad poser.  [they make Harley-d for those ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D]

Offline Kit352

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2019, 04:31:17 PM »
Just to end all this I've settled on a nice prewar Douglas aero with the hand shift and girder front end from a seller in Scotland.  Has everything I've been looking for and a steady supply of spares. I had to up my budget a bit but I had him throw in a french 125cc Peugeot  as well which I quite like.  I've been running around on that and find it to be a wonderful bike.  I dont understand the hate for them but I suspect it's just british bias. The douglas runs well enough but isnt as fun as the Peugeot.   It's like a slow rumbling tank.  Not at all nimble like the peugot.  I think the douglas may need a bit of tuning which will keep me off it for a while until I figure it out.  Seems to run well enough so it's probably just me being paranoid but I will look into it anyway just for piece of mind.  I am having a friend scan manuals and notes from lars Anderson for it and send them to me so i can double check settings and components.  There library is massive for these old bikes.  Lots of private notes and comments on some as well in regards to tuning and racing.
The little peugot has gotten a lot of comments when I bring it up to newlands corner.  I cant wait to bring the douglas there.