Author Topic: Excelsior Universal 125cc - Rear Plunger  (Read 20431 times)

Offline DELONSTAINWALL

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Excelsior Universal 125cc - Rear Plunger
« Reply #60 on: May 06, 2019, 03:38:02 AM »
I have finally taken the plunger out of the frame. Thank you to all members for your input.

33d6, your welt of knowledge is excellent and thank you for dropping by.

I have attached a photo of the unit. The large spring and the smaller spring are what acts like a shocker. Its sits on the rod and the sleeve. There is nothing else inside the plunger. The sleeve in my plunger has been made up by placing parts of a socket set together and then brazed and the rod after several years has got stuck to the brazed sleeve. This is not original this is a Bodged Job done by someone. Cutting the rod was the only way out.

What I need to find now is how I could get the rod made up and the sleeve made up times 2. Can any of you help with this? Thank you it has been a journey with this Excelsior.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: May 06, 2019, 12:07:59 PM »
Is the springbox saveable?...What about the endcaps?...........the rod is easily replaced ,remaking the plunger unit ,a fair job of fabrication and machining.

Offline DELONSTAINWALL

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: May 06, 2019, 10:50:51 PM »
Hi John. K
The end caps are fine. There are no springs inside the plunger unit. My plunger unit consist of the centre rod, the sleeve, and the large spring and the small spring. There is nothing else inside the plunger. Please see pic attached. How could I get the rod and the sleeve made up times 2?   

Delon

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2019, 08:16:42 AM »
OK,so what does the inside surface of the tube look like..............it should be a plain cylinder ,probably with the natural finish of a solid drawn tube ..............the rods should have a thread or a boss in approx the centre ,for a spring seat to go on ........from here it looks like the rods are replaced with plain ,and springs outside...........I must say its a strange bodge,but british bikes are the natural habitat of the strange bodger,and sadly,the true bodger is becoming extinct due very high prices for new material to bodge.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2019, 09:30:57 AM »
Every version of a plunger unit I've had apart has the springs sitting above and below the axle slider casting, and the central pillar/tube is the same diameter over it's whole length.