Author Topic: Triumph T140v Amal Carbs (bless em!)  (Read 6125 times)

Offline kembo

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Triumph T140v Amal Carbs (bless em!)
« on: June 22, 2005, 11:51:39 PM »
Call me stupid but work this one out. I know I will in the end but.........
The throttle valve (slide) is sticking i.e. full throttle and then it wont drop back down.
Get this if I put the valve in upside down it doesnt stick at all.  Nice fit and slides easy.
I have started to file what I think are high spots.
 Any suggestions as to  why it goes in easy upside down and sticks the correct way?  Bugger and here is the summer!

weazle

Re: Triumph T140v Amal Carbs (bless em!)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2005, 12:12:03 AM »
I had the same thing - on both sides.  They were new carbs plus I've got insulators between the carbs & head & correct 'o' washer.  Took carbs off to file down manifold (no bowing).  I 'solvo'd' them on a couple of high spots.  It still happens now & again, though.  No idea why your works upsidedown.  As you say "bless 'em".

Offline Big_Ed

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Triumph T140v Amal Carbs (bless em!)
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2005, 01:02:39 AM »
I cannot say for certain if this is your problem, but I helped a friend out with the Amal concentric on his BSA, suffering from a sticking slide.  The cause of the problem was that the body was slightly distorted from a "professional" who prevously worked on it overtightened the flange mounting bolts.  I successfully squeezed the distortion back out gently with a vise, but this can be a risky thing to do.  My concern about filing "high" spots is it accelerating the wear.  Good luck!