Author Topic: ML Magneto.  (Read 1893 times)

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
ML Magneto.
« on: November 06, 2020, 05:18:03 AM »
My current project is approaching completion.  I've made the cables, but have a problem with the advance/retard for the reconditioned round ML magneto.  There is no internal spring to return the points cam to the full retard position.  I'd planned to use an external volute spring over the cable, but the lever arm is rounded such that the spring flips over the end at full advance and jams there.  There's nowhere on the arm to attach a spring, and only smooth crankcase beneath it, so nowhere to anchor a spring there either.  What's the standard ML arrangement?

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ML Magneto.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2020, 05:26:05 AM »
You may have to make a spherical socket to fit the advance lever ,and so retain the volute spring.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 10:44:37 AM »
Is it tight wire advance? Maybe it relies on the heel of the points actuator to return the cam by friction......
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2020, 12:04:23 PM »
Hi John,

Round MLs usually have enclosed a/r mechanism - with face-cam points - at least until the Mazak (or whatever the rubbish alloy is) rots away. Are you sure that the bits on your magneto are ML?

Leon

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2020, 12:18:53 PM »
Sorry, should have looked a bit harder before replying. The early models with the external a/r have a "self contained spring" - details in the page of the catalogue below. No decent pic to show it, but I guess it's something like the EIC arrangement, that uses a long spiral spring in an annular groove?

Cheers

Leon

Offline JFerg

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 10:13:29 PM »
That's it exactly, Leon, thanks.
Obviously my "self contained spring" isn't doing what it should.  Given the short travel, light load and proximity of the cable anchor, it should push back if I increase my cable gauge a whisker.  I don't really want to pull it off and apart if I can avoid it.

many thanks,
JFerg