Author Topic: twin buy guide  (Read 2768 times)

Offline cznorbert

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
twin buy guide
« on: March 05, 2021, 09:46:05 AM »
Hello, I'm Norbert from Hungary and I'm looking for an british twin from 1955-1965. Could you help me? I would like expert opinion about available motorcycles.
I found an G9 in Austria, approx 6000 pound, but the silencers and mudguards are not correct to this bike, and several other difference.
It is an correct offer? Are these parts built for later or different model? Silencers are BSA for example.

Thanks a lot

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: twin buy guide
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 11:27:06 AM »
The rear mudguard and the way it's been mounted is awful, and the headlamp looks to be off some European bike too, but these were good bikes and if you could get the price down a bit it could be worth it.
I'd give it house room for the right price, though I wouldn't worry too much about the BSA silencers.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 09:48:57 PM »
Those tyres look a bit industrial too. ?
Right at home in Siberia ?

Yes if you can beat the price down a little because of incorrect parts, the important bit is how does it run ?
If it runs well - and reliably - you can chase the cosmetics later.
And be satisfied that you have been part of the restoration process.

And if you want to buy a bike that is PERFECT in every respect, you can pay a lot of Euros.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2021, 10:10:28 PM »
P.S. I'm not so sure those are BSA mufflers.
They look like AMC, but not the 'correct' ones for a G9.

That 2 piece rear mudguard can be quite tricky to find, esp in good condition ?

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 06:13:56 AM »
I agree with R. The price is too high and I would first check that both the frame number and engine number belong together from the same year. If the foundations are right then you can do a riding restoration and keep it on the road while you hunt for the correct parts.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 10:49:29 AM »
The mufflers look very like the 57 G11 CS I had ,but not the cone mega style of the earlier 500......In any case,I wouldnt buy a Matchless twin before 57 with the ally primary and the AMC box.....and certainly not a 600 or 650.......I dont like any of the Matchless twins ,super strong valve springs always caused cam and lifter failure......Get a Triumph 650 for a solid reliable bike.

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2021, 04:05:54 PM »
I'd go for an A10 - a cooking Flash rather than a Rocket. They're available for reasonable money, spares are plentiful and performance not bad. The one I restored a few years back would sit at 70 mph quite happily and I thought the handling at least on a par with the Velo it replaced in my shed.

This is it:

Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline cznorbert

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 10:42:49 AM »
Thanks for the lot of information. I asked for data on the numbers and description of the restoration. But I'm sad, a lot of "little" details are incorrect: the exhaust system, mudguards, front/rear lamps, lucas side lamps next to the front lamp, light switch on the bar, petrol tap, tyres etc.

I would love to hunt for the correct parts, however together with these, the cost becoms too high, if I don’t get a significant discount.

John.k, I researched on the web, the gearbox is an Burman B52, if I right, but I found not bad oppinion about this unit. Could you help me? but the cam and lifter failure, bad news... 

« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 12:43:30 PM by cznorbert »

Offline cznorbert

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2021, 12:36:31 PM »
I'm primarily looking for BSA,AJS Matchless types, in 500ccm pre unit contsruct, with full size front brakes and swinging arm rear. I read, 500ccm is a good size, in 650ccm the vibration is too high, and the crankshaft can break (but in my opinion, at constant high rev, in a road race or...) It is a right info?

My favourite british twin bike is the BSA A7 Shooting Star, in 1955-1962. But I have not seen for sale in near me.

The Matchless twins are look like than oldie but lovely for me, with megaphone silencers, side lamps, big seat...and the price too, Norton and Triumph twins are more expensive than BSA/AMC and they don't look good.
I don’t want to race, so the Triumph engines or the Norton frame it's not worth more money to me, reliability and appearance are important for me.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 12:40:13 PM by cznorbert »

Offline cznorbert

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2021, 08:51:45 AM »
Ian, it is  very nice

Offline cznorbert

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2021, 08:57:32 AM »
Hello, I'm Norbert from Hungary and I'm looking for an british twin from 1955-1965. Could you help me? I would like expert opinion about available motorcycles.
I found an G9 in Austria, approx 6000 pound, but the silencers and mudguards are not correct to this bike, and several other difference.
It is an correct offer? Are these parts built for later or different model? Silencers are BSA for example.

Thanks a lot

I got pictures of the previous condition.
Frame number is A24795, enginenumber is 55/G9 23921. What do they say?
He said of the "renovation":Engine was running so we only sealed it - so it is possible but ist was not dismantled totally. Same to the burman gearbox. Maybe the clutch must be exchanged in some time.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2021, 11:04:05 AM »
Have you bought it then? Looks to be a good project!
I have a BSA A7 also but I'd certainly consider that Matchless as a good interesting alternative.

Offline cznorbert

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2021, 12:54:48 PM »
No, i didn't buy it. Sorry for my english. The seller sent me pictures and info about the motorcycle in email.