Author Topic: Dunelt and Barnstormers  (Read 6142 times)

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dunelt and Barnstormers
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2022, 09:08:32 AM »
Plenty of tin plated iron pistons ..you can be sure the technolgy works .71 and 92 series pistons are tin plated 007 thick.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2022, 11:03:31 PM »
71 and 92 series pistons are tin plated 007 thick.

What are they when they are home ?

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2022, 08:41:24 AM »
In GM 71 and 92 series diesels ....probably in the bigger ones too,but I dont know for sure.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2024, 11:08:33 AM »
I really fancy a Dunelt...
Hi 33d6,

I thought of you today when a friend said he was going to part with his Dunelt - a late 1920s 250 very complete and running when it was put way, like the one in my brochure above.

Leon

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2024, 11:50:16 AM »
Sigh.
Unfortunately, as I wrote a little later, the 33D6 wallet makes my decisions for me. I’d still like a Dunelt but as time goes on even restorable Villiers parts are getting thin on the ground and getting expensive which pushes a prospective Dunelt even further away. Frustrating isn’t it.
I’m getting more and more interested in the likes of the plated pistons that JohnK tells us about. Resurrecting ancient fixed head two- stroke cylinders is becoming a pressing problem. Most I find are wildly overbored and barely usable. They’re a stinker to fit with a liner and when you do fix it what do you do to keep down future wear? Various plating techniques offer hope. Nikasil lined cylinders? Plated pistons?
I should say post war Villiers stuff presents no problems but proper vintage and post vintage engines are a different kettle of fish.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2024, 04:58:48 AM »
It's rather nice, in a slightly-bizarre two-stroke way!

Not sure what model it is, but I was surprised to see beaded edge rims. So maybe 1928? Unfortunately the thing is hanging about 10ft off the ground, so at the moment it's a bit hard to get numbers.

Leon

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2024, 05:32:20 AM »
Seems to be the Sports "K" - the tank divides at the rear to sit over the top tube, and the gear change lever is mounted on the gearbox.

Can't be earlier than 1928, or later than 1930.

Leon

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2024, 07:45:04 AM »
Yes, they came in a variety of guises from basic bones to sporting to de luxe touring. That one is even more desirable as it appears to still have the special Dunelt B&B carb and air cleaner arrangement.
With a one piece crankshaft, a double diameter piston, a unique carb AND a unique to Dunelt Pilgrim pump Dunelt really went out of their way to make life hard for the mug restorer.
That’s why I look and sigh but my wallet goes into spasms at the very thought. You have to be really really keen or daft as a toothbrush to take on a Model K Dunelt.

Dunelt really wanted to march to their own drum beat and they succeeded brilliantly.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2024, 07:54:20 AM »
See I think I can weaken you. Pretty sure the carb is a rather special Binks affair. Very nice. I can see the thing going down the road nicely in a faux duel with a period Super Sport Villiers-engined James...

Pretty certain it's a 1928 Sport, but there weren't big differences between the models. The price mentioned probably wouldn't buy a restored BSA Bantam. Tempted yet?

Leon

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2024, 08:18:21 AM »
Yes, Binks.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2024, 01:45:08 PM »
You’ve carefully avoided the photo of the other side showing  the hole where the missing Dunelts own Pilgrim pump should be.
I must admit it would add a bit of style to any vintage run wouldn’t it.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2024, 12:04:47 AM »
Seems to have a very unusual feature for an Oz bike.......the sprocket nut has never been attacked with a hammer and chisel.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2024, 12:38:01 AM »
And that clutch doesn’t look at all Sturmey Archer. As I’ve mentioned earlier the Model K Dunelt uses the same Sturmey Archer gearbox as my 1926 Matchless so is a familiar friend but that clutch is a stranger.

Can we get a photo of the other side Leon?

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2024, 02:25:02 AM »
No oil pump you say? Just looking for reasons not to buy it!

The oil pump is there, chain driven from the crank. The tin cover is not, but because it's the non-electric model it would have been smaller than the triangular affair in the brochure illustration.

It's very hard to get to the other side because it's hanging against the balustrade of a mezzanine, very high up. The photos are from the camera poked in at arm's length.

Leon

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2024, 04:17:25 AM »
Clutch is explained in the 1928 catalogue: "GEAR BOX Sturmey-Archer 3-speed with specially designed 2-plate clutch..."