Author Topic: Velo oil leaks  (Read 888 times)

Offline Oggers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Velo oil leaks
« on: June 28, 2022, 09:55:08 AM »
Gents

Velocete Viper drips oil both sides after a run. As mentioned before, suspect No1 is the chaincase, but I am not entirely convinced it is the culprit. Suspect no2 is the crankcase breathing set up. I seem to recall there is a breather hole in the crank axle, but that's about it. If that cannot cope, then I fear pressure builds up in the crankacase and escapes through any available orifice, taking oil with it, and thus dripping as witnessed. One mod. is to drill a hole through timing chest and crank housing and fit a threaded vent spigot. This all makes sense, but clearly involves an engine strip. Any recommendations I could do in the meanwhile would be gratefully received.   

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Velo oil leaks
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 12:46:56 PM »
I'd suggest joining the Velo group formerly on Yahoo but now at https://velocette.groups.io/g/main. There has been very exhaustive discusion of this very point n
and there are some real experts there.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Oggers

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2022, 10:11:56 PM »
Ian

I would join in discussions if I could figure out how to post and look at messages! Update - I since drained the crankcase and a good half pint came out. Far too much I feel....This could be the cause of my woe. All that pressurized oil has to go somewhere...Bit concerned how it got like that. Assuming for the moment that the non return ball valve on the oil pump suction is not passing and thus causing wet sumping, the only other thing I can think of is the scavenge pump inlet somewhere in the innards is restricted. Anyone got any other ideas? Suction filter is clean by the by   

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2022, 06:51:17 AM »
The only possibility is scavenge pump fail....air leaks in the pickup piping,worn pump components,pump is not primed .