Author Topic: 1979 T140 rear wheel spindle set up ?  (Read 912 times)

Offline Eedward

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
1979 T140 rear wheel spindle set up ?
« on: September 20, 2022, 04:23:37 PM »
Hi all.
I have been away for a while as sold my last T140, sadly, though have now recently bought one again.
It was in bits, pretty much everything was off it following the previous owners aborted rebuild, hence the pile of bits. As I didn't take it apart, it is harder to put it back together, though doing ok. The problem I have at present is the rear wheel spindle assembly. When I put it back together and tighten it up, the wheel pinches and does not spin freely. I've looked at images of how it should look with spacers/speedo drive etc, and it looks as it should. I've tried various combinations though it always pinches when tightened up.

Any advice/thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot, Edward 

Offline Vreagh

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1979 T140 rear wheel spindle set up ?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 06:02:50 PM »
Check the length of the spacer between the bearings inside the hub. Should be the same distance as between the lips inside the hub, otherwise you're putting side loading on the bearings.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 10:07:26 PM »
Check that both the ball races are seated properly. Even a few thou off where it should be puts side-loading on the bearings.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 09:18:10 AM »
It will be likely spacers are mixed up.........a while back I got a Norton where spacers were assembled wrong and the rear wheel was only secured on one side .....the other side was able to be flexed back and forth.............which is what happened when the brake was applied.