Author Topic: Albion Gearbox Identification  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Iano

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Albion Gearbox Identification
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2023, 12:19:25 PM »
Thank you very much Leon.
You are a wealth of information. most informative, I will check out your links and post any further information I obtain.
I have contacted a few more people in France and waiting for replies.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2023, 02:30:54 AM »
I had a bit of a look on the bnf site https://gallica.bnf.fr/accueil/en/content/accueil-en

Pretty lean pickings on Atania, M. Barbet and Lorient, but I did find out:

M. Jean Barbet registered the name Atania of use on his bicycles and bicycle parts on March 8, 1921. See higher up in the thread. Of course we was likely in business, and maybe even building Atania bicycles, before this. No mention of motorcycles.

In April 1923, tyre maker Hutchinson listed Atania as one of the makers of "bicycles, motocyclettes, and motor cycles" who used their tyres. I don't think you can read into this anything about whether or not Atania made motorcycles at the time.

On July 22, 1926, M. Barber registered the name Regulus to use on "bicycles, motocyclettes (lightweight motorcycles), and accessories. This doesn't necessarily mean he stopped using the name Atania, but he may have. Clearly he was either making, or wanted to make, motocyclettes.

In June 1928, M. Barbet passed his "cycles et motos" business on to M. Allano. The address was given as "1 pl. Morbihan" in Lorient, but I can't find this on a modern map. Lots of redevelopment in Lorient so it may have been built over.

And that's it! Best hope is finding adverts in the local newspaper.

Cheers

Leon
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 02:34:03 AM by cardan »

Offline Iano

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2023, 12:04:13 PM »
Thanks Leon
My bike was registered Morbihan LORIENT towards the end of the 1931 beginning of 1932 this would have been a later registration not the first
There was two pairs of holes in the front mud guard (different size number plates new one issued each registration)
I have contacted the vehicle departmental archives of Morbihan for more information. This archive was set up in in 1932 and only runs between 1928 - 1950
not sure about any vehicles on the road from before this date (wonder if older vehicle's where all just registered as 1927 which would account for the other Atainia
being registered 1927)

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2023, 01:28:18 AM »
(wonder if older vehicle's where all just registered as 1927 which would account for the other Atainia
being registered 1927)
No, I don't think so. "mise en circulation: 12/02/1927" translates to "registered 12/02/1927". i.e. the date the other Atania was registered.

It would be fun to locate 1, Pl. Morbihan and find a photo of what was there c1925.

Note that Morbihan is the name of the "Department" (administrative region) where Lorient is located, and also the name of the Place in Lorient where M. Barbet's cycle shop was located.

Let us know what you find out.

Leon

Offline Iano

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2023, 11:02:38 AM »
thank you Leon
Spent all day yesterday looking through newspapers 1922 / 24 / 26 a few cycle adverts none for Atania I have also been looking through photo archives
but cant find anything there. I am waiting for more information details.
The carb is a Zenith suitable for a 2/ or 2 1/2 cv or maybe up to 247cc