Author Topic: Registering a bike as a classic  (Read 1374 times)

Offline hawkeyefxr

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Registering a bike as a classic
« on: July 30, 2023, 11:00:33 AM »
I have been trying to register my Honda as a classic online. I am sure you used to be able to do it online but i'm dammed if i can find the page on the DVLA.
I know i can do it at the post office but i want to ride it tomorrow. The bike has been Sorn since late last year as i was working on the engine. The site show the form but i want to fill it in online and have done with it!

Offline iansoady

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Registering a bike as a classic
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 05:33:03 PM »
If it's more than 40 years old I think you can just change the taxation class to "Historic Vehicle" on the V5C. I've just gone throght the process of first registration of a 1958 bike and it was relatively easy. Don't be scared of DVLA - there's a lot of uninformed scare stories about them.
Ian
1952 Norton ES2
1986 Honda XBR500
1958-ish Tre-Greeves

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2023, 06:31:01 PM »
You need to take the V5C to a Post Office which does vehicle tax. I don't think you can change from Untaxed to Historic yourself.

Offline hawkeyefxr

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023, 07:30:07 PM »
I have got to the bottom of it.
Yes the bike has to be 40 years old but it can't be classified as a classic until the first January after the bikes 40th birthday. In my case the bike will 40 years and 4 month old.
It can't be done online but just take you insurance, log book, pictures to show that it. has not been drastically altered to the Post Office and they do it there and then.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2023, 10:45:25 AM »
I have got to the bottom of it.
Yes the bike has to be 40 years old but it can't be classified as a classic until the first January after the bikes 40th birthday. In my case the bike will 40 years and 4 month old.

You have to wait until April to register it as Historic tax class.

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/maintenance-and-gear/how-to-apply-for-road-tax-and-mot-exemption-for-a-historic-classic-car/

"Road Tax exemption
Unlike the MOT exemption, getting an exemption from paying road tax doesn’t happen straight after your vehicle turns 40. Instead, you have to wait for the first day of April, and then as long as your car was registered 40 years before the first of January you can apply for road tax exemption from April.
"

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1163655/inf34-taxing-historic-vehicles.pdf

It can't be done online but just take you insurance, log book, pictures to show that it. has not been drastically altered to the Post Office and they do it there and then.

Proof of insurance is now only required in Northen Ireland. You will however need to fill out form V112 unless you continue to have the vehicle MOT'd.

"This requires a change to the V5 registration document, so you will need to take the V5 and proof of MOT or exemption (the V112 form) along to a Post Office and request the vehicle class to be changed [.........] to Historic. In Northern Ireland you will also need to present proof of insurance to make the change."

And you shouldn't need to show photos as PO counter staff aren't going to know what they are looking at, plus some changes may not be visible in pictures.

I've done this three times and never needed to show any pictures.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2023, 10:59:26 AM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2023, 04:29:08 PM »
I last did it two weeks ago, and all you need is the current V5C, nothing else.