Author Topic: Ariel VG 1950  (Read 1122 times)

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ariel VG 1950
« on: August 20, 2023, 07:17:01 AM »
Next is my Ariel VG ........Im sure its in a alot better condition mechanically than the Norton,as it was burned up in a carb fire many years ago .....anyhoo,its going again but has had very little use ..........at the moment its got a brass allparts carby (wont melt next time there is a fire),which is only 1" bore ..........question is ,do I bore out a 276 to 1 & 1/16 (correct size) or find a 289.........I ve had a look around for a 289 ,but seems they are rare and valuable ...even when knackered .........in fact every Amal ive seen is knackered ,but that has no effect on the asking price............something to do with a new one costing $1000 by the time it arrives in the antipodes...........Makes the Indian Mikuni off a RE at $90 delivered very attractive.............but that would be heresy ,of course.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Ariel VG 1950
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 08:25:27 AM »
Stick an Amal Premier on it if you want to ride it.

Offline R

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 08:38:39 AM »
which is only 1" bore ..........question is ,do I bore out a 276 to 1 & 1/16 (correct size) or find a 289

Won't make much difference around town.
Unless you are planning some motorway trips ?
Getting it running nicely with what you have got is probably #1 priority.
By then a 289 will have fallen into your lap !

Those Indian mikcarbs are quite small bore anyway. ?
Maximum fuel economy was the name of the game there, for many a year.
Be interesting to know what they actually achieved.
"The Motorcycle" (magazine) used to quote fuel consumptions at various speeds.
Many a bike could do 100+ mpg, if you kept the speeds down.
I often wondered who chugged around on a Vincent at sub 30 mph speeds ?
Or a BSA Bantam for that matter, for the 10 hours a tankful would last ... !

The 289 is listed some places as being available new.
At a fair old price, it must be said...
Premiers are a bit less than that - no comment on visuals.

Offline john.k

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 09:21:37 AM »
There is a 28mm Micarb to suit a 500 RE .........the Ariel was supposedly rebuilt with Red Hunter internals..........the only difference in 1950 was the flywheels- steel vs cast iron   the carby 276 vs 289,and a valanced front mudguard ......it came with a melted carb and magneto .......Ive put a brass all parts carb on it ,and it seems to run quite well ,the few turns Ive had it out on  the back street.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2023, 09:15:54 AM »
Yes, no hurry with the carb. A 1” will keep you happy until the right one comes along. I’d be more interested to ensure it has the right oil pump. 1950 was the first year of the upgraded oil pump with 1/4” diameter inlet shaft but who knows what has been done in the 70 years since.
The bottom end upgrade to Red Hunter essentially just entails fitting roller bearings instead of ball. I remember lovingly doing this to my 600cc VB Ariel being convinced no one rode their side valve slogger as hard as rode mine. (I’ve always been a dreamer). Then again, it was still running strong when I sold it in England, a long way from home and it remains the only motorcycle I’ve ridden up the Champs Élysée and round the Arc de Triomphe roundabout.
As you can gather, I rather like Ariel singles.