Author Topic: which bike?  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Aijala

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
which bike?
« on: November 30, 2007, 12:33:50 AM »
I been thinking of buying a old classic. At first i was planning to buy Royal Enfield but people i met talked me out of it. Reliability etc. Now i'm wondering between BSA B31 & SUNBEAM S8. One reason is the cost. Both seem to be cheap(1500-2500£). What do you think of these bikes. Are they reliable? Easy fix/get parts etc.

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
Re: which bike?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 03:00:27 AM »
My choice would be the BSA B31 every time.  They are very reliable (if not thrashed), easy to maintain and spares are easy to obtain.  Good value for money too.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2007, 07:55:01 AM »
...Although there also appears to be a good number of apparently dedicated enthusiasts loyal to the (BSA) Sunbeam (S7 & S8 ) marque, as they are somewhat different mechanically to most other British bikes of the period.

Stewart Engineering http://www.stewartengineering.co.uk/ being the[/u] place to go for parts and services.

More Info:
http://www.classicglory.com/
L.A.B.

Offline henry_norton

• Advanced Member
  • get out there
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 06:53:40 PM »
If you weren't too fussed about 'authenticity', ie. matching numbers, there are quite a few big bikes you could ride away on for your budget. Triumph twins are usually fairly reasonable if they've had an engine swap (and I personally think a Bonneville hasn't been used properly if it hasn't been thrashed for a period during its early life), and the less sporty AMC singles and twins appear at quite reasonable prices from time to time as most people are looking out for the sporty CS & CSRs. BSA twins can be quite reasonably priced too - particularly the unit 500s.
Reliability issues are not that cut and dried as all old brit bikes are unreliable if compared to (and used like) a new Honda. However, Electronic ignition, regular maintenance and a bit of an easy life should mean you'll always get to where you need to be. Hope I haven't added to the confusion. Old Bike Mart is good for ads, and tends to have more realistic prices than somewhere like Ebay. HN