Author Topic: Watercooled Lewis for auction.  (Read 66 times)

Offline R

  • Advanced Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1679
  • Karma: +26/-10
    • View Profile
Watercooled Lewis for auction.
« on: September 28, 2026, 10:26:45 AM »
In Perth, estimate A$15000 - $18000

OK, so its got a UK engine - labelled as Lewis.
And I don't know how much is aussie content...

https://online.doningtonauctions.com.au/lot-details/index/catalog/402/lot/81742/c-1913-Lewis-500cc-Single-Location-Perth

Offline cardan

  • Advanced Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1354
  • Karma: +19/-5
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: Watercooled Lewis for auction.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2026, 06:46:27 AM »
No, it's not an "Australian copy of FEB Bakers Precision Motor" but a motor built by F.E. Baker for Lewis. The motors were not branded Precision (they usually has Lewis cast into the crankcase, and were usually stamped "Made in England" - a posible clue), and the cylinders (even the air cooled ones) were different from those used by Precision: presumably this was a way of Lewis getting around the fact the A.G. Healing in Melbourne were the Australia-wide agents for Precision engines. The Lewis motors were shipped directly to Lewis in Adelaide.

Nice bike.

Leon

Edit: Should have added: the cycle parts (lugs, wheel hubs, forks, pedalling gear, brakes...) are British Chater Lea. Frames were brazed up and enameled at Lewis; plating was also done in house. The tanks were made my a local Adelaide tinsmith called Memmler. On this model, the whole affair where the tank usually goes comprises a water tank and radiator at the front, and the fuel tank is beneath the saddle. This necessitated a British B&B carb with a really long body to get the float bowl low enough so that the fuel could run into it. I've not seen this carb elsewhere, so like the engine it might have been a special build for Lewis.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2026, 06:56:43 AM by cardan »

Offline R

  • Advanced Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1679
  • Karma: +26/-10
    • View Profile
Re: Watercooled Lewis for auction.
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2026, 09:31:07 PM »
No, it's not an "Australian copy of FEB Bakers Precision Motor"

I don't think I suggested this, did I  ?
I've read that if you bought 20 or more, they could cast whatever name you wanted on the crankcase and timing chain cover..

Interesting detail, thanks
If this had come up 20+ years ago, would have been really keen.
Having a warm tank between your knees.
And a carb that iced up on frosty morns ...?

Offline cardan

  • Advanced Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 1354
  • Karma: +19/-5
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: Watercooled Lewis for auction.
« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:19:35 AM »
Sorry R, the quote comes from the auction listing, and sorry again but the "no" was meant to indicate agreement with your comment! Clumsy...

My 1909 Lewis has the radiator in front of the fuel tank, but it's big and boxy and since the engine is only little (370cc-ish) it works ok. I've been on rallies with the WA bike (a 500) and I recall it was boiling a lot! Not sure if this was a design fault due to the small front area of the radiator, or whether it wasn't quite running well.

I'd be proud to own it, but have a shed full of Australian-made bikes already!

Leon