Author Topic: Triton wiring question  (Read 12879 times)

Offline Badgerman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Triton wiring question
« on: January 19, 2009, 09:19:55 PM »
Just picked up my Triton today and am slightly puzzled on the wiring. The bike came with no battery and it has a alternator and a magneto. I am not 100% sure if it is a 6 or 12 volt, and when I connected a 12volt battery tonight, the positve lead got very hot soI took it off straight away. The wiring seems to check out against a wiring diagram I have.

Question - does it sound like I have connected a 12volt battery to a 6 volt system (ammeter also went straight past 12 volts when the battery was connected) or does it sound like a short?

Appreciate your help

Badgerman  :-/

Offline thunderbird

• Advanced Member
  • thunderbirds do go!
    • View Profile
Re: Triton wiring question
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 10:03:51 PM »
if it has 2 wires going to the alternator it will be twelve volt 3wires 6 volt also check your bulbs will be marked

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 10:04:35 PM »
I am not 100% sure if it is a 6 or 12 volt,

What type of regulator and/or rectifier are fitted?

What voltage are the light bulbs?

What colour alternator wires go to the rectifier? And how many? Is there another alternator wire that goes directly to the ignition/lighting switch?

and when I connected a 12volt battery tonight, the positve lead got very hot soI took it off straight away. The wiring seems to check out against a wiring diagram I have.

Could you have connected the battery the wrong way? Is the system positive earth, or has it been changed over to negative earth?

(ammeter also went straight past 12 volts when the battery was connected) or does it sound like a short?

I'm sure you meant 12 amps, and not 12 volts?

Sounds as if there's a short, or the battery was connected the wrong way?

Is there a fuse in the system, as it ought to have blown?

« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 10:05:47 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline Goldie

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 07:22:48 PM »
When building my "Triton" pictured, it had direct lighting (no battery)with a 6 volt altenator, which i joined two of the three wires together to make it 12 volt output.
The two wires then went to a rectifier, and from there to the light switch etc. I also fitted a zennor diode to burn off the excess voltage or what everit does.
It now has a 12 volt altenator, but i machined 10 thou off the rotor to give extra clearence to stop any pick up, which Triumph Race tuners of the 1960s and early 70s Boyers of Bromley recommended.

Offline Badgerman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 09:15:30 PM »
Thanks all,

The alternator has two wires coming from it so I presume that it is 12 volt. I have been round and cleaned all the earthing points and made sure that all connectors are tight. I fitted the battery and this time no hot wires - so a positive start.

There are a couple of strange things, like with the lights off the brake light works fine and comes on every time you operate the pedal, but when the rear light is on, the stop light does not work?

The bike has no kill switch or ignition fitted and I would like to fit both. Can anyboy tell me how I would fit a kill switch to the K2F AG 552 magneto - presumably I would just take an earth wire from the mag body at some point?

I am not sure of the point in fitting an key switch to the lighting circuit as the bike will be able to be started direct from the mag - can anybody suggest a good way forward for the wiring circuit ??

Thanks again everybody

Jamie

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 09:51:17 PM »
There are a couple of strange things, like with the lights off the brake light works fine and comes on every time you operate the pedal, but when the rear light is on, the stop light does not work?

The most likely reason is that two out of the three wires that go to the tail lamp are connected to the wrong bulb terminals.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 09:53:02 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline Badgerman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 08:01:44 AM »
Thanks - sorry for all the questions.

If I put an in-line fuse into the battery feed, what amp rating should it be?

Is there any value in putting an ignition type switch into the lighting / charging circuit or should I just stick with the kill switch from the magneto?

Cheers

Jamie

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 08:35:04 AM »
If I put an in-line fuse into the battery feed, what amp rating should it be?
Add up all the lighting watts, then divide by 12. Use the next fuse rating up.

Is there any value in putting an ignition type switch into the lighting / charging circuit or should I just stick with the kill switch from the magneto?
Yes, it stops fiddlers leaving your lights on if nothing else.
BTW the stop/tail light problems are probably down to poor earthing to the lamp unit.

Offline odthing

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 04:23:59 PM »
A kill switch to mount on the handle bars will be available from e.g. Ace Classics, Tri-Supply, Len Craig etc. Its just a nice chromed button that eaths the mag.

I have incorporated a Lucas (old 60's style) ignition / lighting switch on my pre unit triumph headlamp shell because I have put electronic ignition on so need power for the coils. I did this without altering the loom at all by being a bit selective about connections in the headlamp shell, basically putting the switch between the power from the rectifier/ diode and the ammeter. The only item that still works when switched off is the horn.

Offline ThatZip

• Advanced Member
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ZipKG
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - ZipKG
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 04:46:21 PM »
Does anyone have a good, basic Triton wiring diagram which they might be willing to share, or I simply could use the factory Triumph one? Mine (T140/slimline) appears now not to be charging correctly. Anyone else have one down here in southern Florida, by the way? Always keen to meet other like-minded souls. Thanks, "Zip".

Offline AdrianfromOz

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 05:25:45 AM »
Hi,

Try a google search. I had a quick look, and a few results came up.
The site you select may require you to register first.