Author Topic: Help! My beloved '66 G3 - p*ssed n' broke :-(  (Read 2983 times)

Offline fishsponge

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Help! My beloved '66 G3 - p*ssed n' broke :-(
« on: February 20, 2009, 11:21:58 AM »
As you may have guessed from the title of this topic, I have a bit of a problem... My original 72mm 1966 350 single Matchless G3, short-stroke piston has a crack in it, and I need a new one :(

Here's what happened...

The bike has been burning oil for some time now, so a good friend and I took a look at the piston rings, among other things, and discovered that they were basically useless.

This lead me to another good friend's (Rick Edwards') place where I employed his truly amazing piston ring knowledge (and collection) to obtain a new set of rings for my piston (thanks, Rick! :) ).

Upon inserting the new rings into the cleaned piston, we discovered that the oil control ring wasn't rotating as freely as we would like, so we took them off again to examine the groove a little closer.

It was then that my friend discovered that this "scratch" was actually a crack that ran across all three piston ring grooves, and into the bottom of the crown.

The piston is therefore useless.

So... I have a dilemma - there are 5 weeks until my first club run, which is then the beginning of a jam-packed summer full of steam rallies, bike shows, club runs, the Matchless/AJS Owners Club jampot rally 30 minutes from my house(!) etc... and I need a new piston!

So, if anyone has one, knows of one, knows of someone else who has one, or anything at all that might get me a new piston, please get in touch!

I plan on putting some adverts in other places on the web too, and another good friend is going to place an advert in a few magazines for me too.

Thanks in advance, people... there has to be one out there somewhere... there just has to be!

Offline Blue

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help! My beloved '66 G3 - p*ssed n' broke :-(
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 02:14:21 AM »
You can have pistons made brand new to your own specifications if need be.  I'm not sure what's available in England but there's a mob in South Australia that make them to order - not of Hepolite quality, but they work fine for pommy bangers.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email