Author Topic: petrol  (Read 5392 times)

Offline mossy

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
petrol
« on: March 07, 2009, 12:09:52 PM »
i,m starting my first classic bike renovation (b.s.a. c15) whats the score with unleaded petrol in old engines do i have to put lead additives inthe fuel and if so where do i get it from ? any advice would be appreciated thanks ;D

Offline Goldy

• Advanced Member
  • Restore, Ride, Relive
    • View Profile
Re: petrol
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 04:28:48 PM »
See page 5 of this forum British bike section.                                 ' unleaded petrol 'posted Dec 1 st by twolitre. C15 good for first restoration, simple machine and parts readliy available. all the best                                                                  

Offline mossy

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 05:34:08 PM »
very helpful thank you

Offline Goldie

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 09:43:32 PM »
If you ain't going to do thousands miles, then i would not bother changing the valve seats to cater for unleaded petrol.

Just put a decent fuel additive in your tank, and you will be fine, unless of course you are planning on going round the world.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 06:53:38 PM »
I've never bothered with boosters or additives in any of my cars or bikes, and they've all been fine.

After half a century of valve-battering, those valve seats will be hard enough, although they were probably hard enough the day they left Armoury Road!

Just keep an eye on those clearances.