Author Topic: Norton Oil  (Read 11645 times)

Offline steven j

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
Norton Oil
« on: March 12, 2009, 01:41:01 AM »
About to kick over the 1951 Norton for the first time but need advice on lubrication.  I will be running Shell V-power in the tank but need to know best oil to use for Engine, Gearbox and Chain bath.

Offline rivo

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Norton Oil
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 10:57:45 PM »
Hi Steven,

In my '50 Norton (model 7 Dominator) I use Miller's Millerol SAE 40 or 50 in as well as engine as gearbox. For me SAE 50 works fine, but then again I don't drive below say 5 degrees Celsius. Engine has sufficiently pressure (oilpump new in 2007, though) and gearchanges go smoothly.
For the oilbath I use Milleroil SAE30; clutch works fine (no slippery) and leakage form the oilbath are well within my standards.

I'm sure that e.g. Castrol has equivalent oils. Be aware for detergents (in the Netherlands we call it "doped oils") for they might loosen up sludge from the crank and bearings and there's no filter within, is there?
No multigrade adviced, because the molecular strings appear to get broken and the result is a far to low viscose oil. (Becomes too thin)

Are these tips any good to you?

Kind regards, Rien
Netherlands.
If you've got a single cylinder Norton (ES2, 18, etc),
Kind regards,
Rien (Netherlands)
Domi mdl 7 (1950)
BMW R75/6 (1976)
Citroen 2CV (1988) - it's an air cooled boxer, and almost the same weight as a bike, ain't it?

Offline steven j

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 12:48:34 AM »
Thanks for the advice Rien.  It might seem a simple question but when you can't use the original oil stipulated then it is useful to ask around to see what works best for others.  I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Regards
Steven

Offline george_the_second

• Advanced Member
  • I love brittbikes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 08:52:38 AM »
Hello Steven I agree with Rien although I have all my old bikes up to 1930 on 20/50 because I think that 20/50 does a better lubrication job when riding in cold weather and changing oil reguarly will prevent the oil to wear out.
I use it only when an engine is build up new,because otherwise the dirt inside( from all those years) in the engine will loosen up and will clog the oilsystem.
But that is your dicision.
I want to warn you for the shell v-power .I have been in problemes with the old bikes several times because of a vapour-lock with v-power and it has to do with the aditives in it which you do not need at all to have you bike running properly.
Stay with euro 95 it is better petrol than your engine tasted in former days( that goes for the oil as well)
good luck George the second  

Offline Goldie

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 09:09:32 PM »
I run my Goldstar DBD34 Clubman on Castrol GP50 in the engine and gearbox, and 30 grade in the primary drive

Offline davebarkshire

• Advanced Member
  • Ariels are best!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 07:54:56 AM »
There are lots of detailed debates about oils for old bikes which go into intense details about molecules and flattened poymer repeat units and the like.

Many people seem to generally agree that monograde (non-synthetic) is most suitable (typically 40 sae)  although many use multigrade with no trouble. It does depend up the climate and if you don't live in an extreme climate then mongrade should be fine.

In 1951 petrol and oil were not as good as they were today (by a long way) so even the cheapest of products will probably be better than what the bike was designed for.

Because old Brits tend to 'dirty' their oil fairly quickly it is better in my opinion to buy a cheaper oil and change it regularly than to spend money on expensive oils and the difference in price can be substantial. I know people who run their old Brits on lawn mower oil which is probably better than 1951 premium oil.

Because you have a Norton it is likely that any oil you put in the primary chain case will navigate its way to the road and rear tyre. You can try bathroom silicon sealant and other things on the case but I tend to spray chain lube on the chain (through the hole) and leave the oil out.

Gearbox oil ahould be around 90 viscosity and remember to check it at least once a year if not more as many people think that gearbox oil is never 'consumed' which is not true. My Norton gearbox would somtimes have a problem with condinsation which meant water would collect inside so do check for this every now and then.
Water makes its own sauce.