Author Topic: GEARBOX PROBLEM  (Read 4141 times)

Offline Goldie

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
GEARBOX PROBLEM
« on: April 19, 2009, 09:02:01 PM »
Today i went for a ride on my 500 BSA Gold Star, but unfotunatly on the way home the gearbox, for some reason would not select neutral.

What happened, after stopping for a few minutes, i fired it up, and when i pushed it off the stand it jumped into gear.

It will go through all the gear selections, but when it clicks in the neutral position it is still in gear.

Thankfully a friend came out with his trailer and we got the bike home.

I am not a gearbox man, even though i can strip down engines and primary gear ans rebuild them.

Before i start taking off the RRT2 gearbox outer and inner covers does anyone have any ideas what has gone wrong to cause this problem and where do i look.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 09:03:41 PM by Goldie »

Offline Justin_Faithfull

• Advanced Member
  • ELEPHANTS - WHERE?
    • View Profile
Re: GEARBOX PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 10:59:37 PM »
If you can strip engines, a gearbox should not be to much trouble. Just make sure you have a good workshop manual on hand to help with reassembly & you should be O.K.
It is most likely a selector mechanism problem & this can be accessed by removing the outer case. With a little luck once the outer case is off the problem will be self evident.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 08:00:52 AM »
I agree. If you can make difficult judgement-calls on an engine, then a gearbox (which is usually easier to fault as it's broken/not broken, loose/tight etc) ought to present no problems.

I'd be looking at selector/detent problems if I was you.

Offline hayley1963

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 02:03:52 AM »
my bike was doing that too and it was the adjuster/selector..if its not right the gears jump in and out of gear..i had 3 neutrals. i was finding a neutral between each gear :o