Author Topic: Matchless grasstracker  (Read 3955 times)

Offline lxmlvll

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Matchless grasstracker
« on: September 29, 2008, 08:12:25 AM »
Hi guys,

I recently aquired a Matchless G85CS "EMMOTT" engined bike with a plate attatched to the top yoke which says "500cc MATCHMAKER IRELAND". The machine appears to be a grasstracker; it has a speedway type fuel tank, brakes front and rear and a Norton (I think) gearbox and clutch.

It carries a hand painted competition number 447, probably from it's last competitive meeting. Did grasstrackers carry the same number all season?

I would be grateful if anyone can help with the history of this machine as I can't find much about grasstrack machines or history on the web. Also, I wonder, does MATCHMAKER refer to a club?

I look forward to any information which will help.

Thanks in anticipation.

A.

Offline XTman

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Matchless grasstracker
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 12:15:56 AM »
Hi guys,

I recently aquired a Matchless G85CS "EMMOTT" engined bike with a plate attatched to the top yoke which says "500cc MATCHMAKER IRELAND". The machine appears to be a grasstracker; it has a speedway type fuel tank, brakes front and rear and a Norton (I think) gearbox and clutch.

It carries a hand painted competition number 447, probably from it's last competitive meeting. Did grasstrackers carry the same number all season?

I would be grateful if anyone can help with the history of this machine as I can't find much about grasstrack machines or history on the web. Also, I wonder, does MATCHMAKER refer to a club?

I look forward to any information which will help.

Thanks in anticipation.

A.
Sounds very interesting,i think i may have came across a bike like this before,many years ago would love to see a photo of it.The"Emmott" comes from Jack Emmott i think who was the engine tuner.The bike ,from memory is not unlike a speedway bike in looks ,long frame chrome nickel i think,and  up swept handle bars.The bike was better suited for English Grasstrack as irish was very rough and more like a scramble.Does the bike run on petrol or dope?  :)