Author Topic: D7 Bantam Flat Battery  (Read 4228 times)

Offline Dave Of Six

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
D7 Bantam Flat Battery
« on: August 03, 2009, 07:05:50 PM »
Unfortunately My battery is flat on my D7 Bantam. It wont start and there is no lights or horn. As far as i am aware it is the original battery. Is it worth buying a 6v/12v charger or should i buy a new battery?

cheers

D.

Offline Justin_Faithfull

• Advanced Member
  • ELEPHANTS - WHERE?
    • View Profile
Re: D7 Bantam Flat Battery
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 11:48:37 PM »
I would suggest a battery charger is very handy to have in your garage anyway - so if it was me I would buy one.
I would doubt the battery is the original one unless the bike has been laid up for nearly 40 years. If the battery has been flat for while (more than a few weeks at the most) then you will probably need a new one.
Your D7 Bantam should have an emergency start position on the ignition switch for flat battery starting, but this willonly work if the alternator & wiring etc. is all working correctly.

Offline Dave Of Six

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 06:04:58 PM »
Cheers.

Since buying the Bantam, i have done about 60 miles since acquiring the bike in june. Yesterday I noticed the battery may be flat after an 8 mile run when the engine flooded, wouldnt start and  the horn and lights didnt work.

After leaving it 24 hours, i have just kicked it over and it started first time in the normal 'I' position. the back light came on and the horn worked but after a minute the horn and brake light failed. Could this be a small charge left in the battery?

I suspect the electrics could be at fault  and another forum member advised it could be the capacitor.

I will charge the battery and then maybe take it from there.

D.

Offline Rex

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 08:41:53 AM »
That could be me you're referring to regarding the duff capacitor (I seem to recall) but that was in response to the engine failing query and not battery charging.

Doesn't the D7 have the flywheel mag? If so, the state of the battery's charge won't matter, and so you probably have two problems, ie battery not charging/discharging, and an ignition/carb fault too.

Offline Dave Of Six

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 06:04:23 PM »
Thanks Rex.

I am going to look into the Ignition/carb issues.

So I need to check the float for problems and the ingnition timing and possible duff condensor?

D.

Offline Justin_Faithfull

• Advanced Member
  • ELEPHANTS - WHERE?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 08:11:27 PM »
Do you have a good manual? If not I should get hold of one. I would avoid a Haynes manual, they're OK but you can get a better one. Try this link: -
http://www.brucemainsmith.com/