Author Topic: Sticking clutch  (Read 2841 times)

Offline cpp01

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Sticking clutch
« on: November 08, 2009, 10:53:34 AM »
Hi there,

I have an irritating problem with my '68 TR25W, if it sits for a while (week or two) the clutch sticks so I cannot put it into gear whilst the engine is running. If I let the engine run for a while and get warm the clutch releases and I have no more problems for the day. What can I do to fix this? I suspect a clutch strip down and clean up but if that's the case it won't be done until next spring/summer as I work outside! I'll probably change the spirngs etc whilst I am at it.

I've recently changed the clutch cable (no symptons before this, but new length is correct etc) and changed all of the oils in the bike. In addition the bike has been rebored although I do not see this affecting the clutch performance.

Thanks for your help in advance.
cpp01

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sticking clutch
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 12:12:29 PM »
I have an irritating problem with my '68 TR25W, if it sits for a while (week or two) the clutch sticks so I cannot put it into gear whilst the engine is running.

I expect you are not observing the time-honoured British bike tradition of free-ing the clutch before starting? So make it part of your normal starting routine, especially if the bike has not been used for longer than a day.

Free the clutch before you attempt to start-up, (ignition/fuel off).
First, pull in the clutch lever, and then use the kick starter until you feel no engine resistance as you kick (which can happen quite suddenly). The clutch plates will then have been freed off.
Once the clutch plates are free, release the clutch lever, and start up in the normal way.  
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 12:36:19 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline cpp01

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Sticking clutch
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 07:07:05 PM »
Thanks for the response (sorry for my delay in getting back). That used to be part of my start-up routine, don't know why I don't do that anymore. I'll see if it cures the problem!

Thanks again,
cpp01