Author Topic: Suzuki Gt500 hot starting probs  (Read 4632 times)

Offline minpops

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Suzuki Gt500 hot starting probs
« on: July 02, 2006, 06:01:31 PM »
Hi can anybody advise. Rebuilt GT500 starts and runs from cold fine (maybe alittle hot) but will not start again when hot, have changed plugs standard type and set gaps correctly no help. new coil good charging

Help Peter :

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Suzuki Gt500 hot starting probs
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2006, 07:19:06 PM »
Starting well when cold but not when hot is usually a symptom of an over-rich mixture.

Possible causes could be:

Pilot screws incorrectly set (initial setting is 1.1/4 turns out and then plus or minus 1/4 turn)?

Choke plungers not seating correctly (could be worth checking the condition of the rubbers on the end of the plungers too)?

The ignition switch is known to cause problems on these models as well I believe (as it earths/grounds the PEI unit when in the 'off' position)?

Old/clogged air filter?

Or it could be an ignition problem?

The GT500 supposedly has a self generating PEI system that doesn't rely on the battery but is powered by one of the generator coils (exciter coil) so are the sparks as good when the engine is hot? Maybe the engine heat is affecting either the exciter coil or the pulser coil (that triggers the PEI unit).

Another cause of bad starting on a two stroke is a failed crankshaft seal but I would think this would maybe affect cold starting as well as hot?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 07:29:05 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline minpops

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Suzuki Gt500 hot starting probs
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2006, 12:13:18 AM »
Thanks this has given me something to start working with. More info if any relevence to problem, engine barrels,pistons.rings,head, oil seals are new as is coil.
engine running I think a little hot but its 26 years since i last had one of these so i am not sure what to expect.

Thanks again Peter