Author Topic: KAWASAKI GT550 Engine oil  (Read 6528 times)

Offline shrek

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
KAWASAKI GT550 Engine oil
« on: August 31, 2006, 05:03:45 AM »
FIRSTLY,Im new to the FORUM and hope I dont offend any purists by talking about the GT550 [KAWASAKI, not the Suzuki]. I bought the bike a few months ago, its an ex DR bike and has covered 102,000 miles in 6years.
The oil filler cap says to use 10W40 oil.I have in my shed a quantity of Halfords 10W40 Enhanced mineral oil which I used in my old high mileage SAAB 900i. Additional info on the bottle says "suitable for most fuel injected engines", and "conforms to API,SL,CF,ACEA,A2,  B2" . So is it safe to use in the bike or not? I use the bike for commuting [20 miles daily] and rarely exceed 60mph and 5000rpm.Any advice would be gratefully received as would any one elses experience of these machines.Im sure they will be a future "practical classic" to borrow a phrase from the 4 wheeled world.
THANKS,SHREK.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: KAWASAKI GT550 Engine oil
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 05:58:26 AM »
There was a similar question asked quite recently about 'SL' oil:  http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=11;action=display;num=1155820678

Apparently it isn't recommended to use SL grade oils that are formulated for car engines in motorcycles, at least those that have wet clutches because they can contain friction modifiers that could cause wet clutches to slip.

And I'm sure no-one here is offended by your choice of motorcycle.
L.A.B.

Offline shrek

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: KAWASAKI GT550 Engine oil
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 04:04:35 AM »
many thanks LAB,looks like Im going to have to spend some money unless someone else knows different?l