Author Topic: 1966 Yamaha YDS-3 250cc  (Read 4971 times)

Offline Vincent

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
1966 Yamaha YDS-3 250cc
« on: January 19, 2008, 09:25:23 PM »
This was my first Japanese bike.  Electric motor smoothness, no oil leaks and no parts fell off when motoring down the highway.

Offline Oldgit

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: 1966 Yamaha YDS-3 250cc
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 05:49:12 AM »
Nice bike, not sure about teaching your dog to ride though.  :-/

Offline Vincent

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1966 Yamaha YDS-3 250cc
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 11:18:30 AM »
Oldgit,

Yeah, but the dog could be trained.

That Yamaha showed me it was possible to have a motorcycle that could be ridden day after day with no quirks, a bright headlight and very minimal maintenance.

One day, shortly after I bought it, I met a fellow who was riding a single cylinder Benelli 250.  

He looked over my Yamaha from one end to the other and said "Nice bike, but it's Japanese isn't it?  Mine is Italian."

With that I said "Yup, it's just a Japanese bike."

I motored off and turned onto the main highway.  I watched Mr. Benelli in my mirror and figured where he would make his move.  Soon he nailed it to pass me so I just gave my lowly Japanese bike full throttle and left him sitting.

Later on I parked my bike in town and along came Mr. Benelli.  He stopped next to me and said "Man, that thing is quick but the valves float real bad!"

I almost said "It's a 2-stroke" but thought better of it and said "Oh, thanks for the tip, I'll have to get the dealer to adjust the valves."