Author Topic: Workshop Manuals.  (Read 9498 times)

Offline Mark1961

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Workshop Manuals.
« on: February 13, 2008, 06:07:30 AM »
Folks...I've just pulled my workshop manual collection out of storage. Apart from several dozen Haynes and Clymer manuals, I've also got a complete set of official Honda factory workshop manuals numbered from 1 to 25. They cover the entire Honda range from the first bikes imported into the UK, to about 1985. They cover every possible aspect of repair and servicing, with all the settings, torque figures and wear tolerances etc.

I also have official Suzuki manuals, covering most, if not all models for the same period.

So....if anyone needs copies of the above, please let me know. I can't copy entire manuals, but I'm happy to scan and send specific parts or just share any details anyone might need.

Offline sono

• Advanced Member
  • There's nothing like riding a Honda !
    • View Profile
Re: Workshop Manuals.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 07:11:51 AM »
HI,
I've just got my Honda CM400T 1980 top engine restored (valves, cylinders and pistons to factory specs). Unfortunately, as he finished the job, the Honda dealer mechanic told me that the tension on the crankshaft balancer chain is not working anymore. I'm told I should not worry too much about it if noise is not getting worse.

The engine only has 25,000km. I love this bike because it is just the right size for me.  I ride 12,000km /year on my motorcycle.  Part cost to fix the problem is very low (I already found all critical OEM spare parts) but estimate on labour cost is 12 hours. This includes taking engine out of the frame, replacing the balancer chain and guides. I suspect we may also replace a few bits and pieces too as he would have to remove the crankshaft.

I need to figure out by myself if something else can be done or if I can do part of the work by myself. I've got the Clymer manual, but the illustrations and explanations on that topic are diluted between several models.  Do you have more accurate and focused information on :

• How to adjust this balancer chain
  • How to service this balancer chain and tensionners

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Martin
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 08:27:11 AM by sono »

Offline Mark1961

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 07:25:51 AM »
Hi Martin...if you send me a personal message with your email address I'll send you the relevant details.

Offline sono

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
CM400T 1980 crankshaft balancer chain adjustment
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 11:26:45 AM »
Thanks Mike,
In the meantime I've got in touch with Mike Nixon, who used to be a top Mechanic at American Honda in the 80s. He told me something quite amazing:

" The tensioner can be adjusted further, and at your low miles that is all I would expect would be necessary.  Tell your mechanic to remove the slotted part from its splined shaft and reposition it one spline over to gain more adjusting room. "  Otherwise the adjuster went all the way once only.

This was a very common thing to do back in the 80"s at Honda's dealership he says, but this procedure was never endorsed by Honda.

Have you or anybody on this forum ever heared of such clever shortcut for adjusting the tension on the crankshaft balancer chain ?

Thank you

Martin

Offline Mark1961

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 03:45:07 AM »
I'm trying to attach the page from the factory manual Martin, and it does show that moving the adjuster on it's splines is actually approved Honda procedure in cases where adjustment can go no further. And...my name's Mark, not Mike     ..:-)

But....no... I can't do it....can someone advise how to upload pics please... all I get is "A file on the server already exists with that name" and it doesn't make any difference how I rename the file. Help!

Offline sono

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 12:18:09 PM »
Sorry Mark for mispelling your name. I had just been in touch with Mike Nikon that I quoted on my message to you, his name just came back naturally by accident.

I tought you planned to simply send attachments by Email... much simpler.

"moving the adjuster on it's splines is actually approved Honda procedure" you say ???  interesting... If so, this is precisely what I want to know more about, especially the torque values required when reinstalling the nuts on the  adjuster.  I have not located this information in my Clymer manual.

According to Mike comments, It is quite likely that I can still go more than once on the adjuster, as long as there is remaining teflon on the glider apparently. This was routine maintenance in the 80's he says.

Whenever teflon padding is gone, I will have to change both gliders and balaning chain, remove the crankshaft and reinstall with new bolts on the connecting rod. I already have all required parts to do that, but I definitely prefer to ride for a while without the 12 hours or so of work required to restore with new parts. This might just come whenever the engine is due for complete rebuilding. If the crankshaft is removed, I'm likely going to change all bearings and timing chain too, so this will not only be 12 hours, and I'm not experienced enough to risk working that much on an engine myself.

So whatever accurate information you have on moving the adjuster on it's splines is welcome.

Martin
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 12:19:01 PM by sono »

Offline Mark1961

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 10:46:23 PM »
Hi Martin

I've just emailed it to you, it has the torques settings on it too.

I wanted to upload to here so that others might possibly benefit, but until I work out how to do it, I'll have to email any pages to anyone that needs them.

Good luck.

Mark.

Offline ralphfalcon

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 06:08:47 AM »
Hi Mark 1961, this is Ralphfalcon, i have a Honda Magna 500, do you have a book for this?.
All the best Ralphfalcon.

Offline Mark1961

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 02:56:25 AM »
Hi Ralph

As I understand it, the 500 Magna was not imported into the UK (I may be wrong though), so my manuals don't cover it.

However the engine seems to be the same as the VF500 and I do have a manual for that.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

Offline Baza999

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 08:30:27 PM »
Hi Mark,
 Just bought a 1970 suzuki acc100 was wondering if you had a book on this one ? could really do with a wiring diagram,can you help. Best regards Barry.     ( autohelp@blueyonder.co.uk)