Author Topic: "Truing" a spoked wheel  (Read 4033 times)

Rabbit

"Truing" a spoked wheel
« on: July 14, 2008, 11:07:32 AM »
I have a 74 Honda 550 with a slight flat spot on the back rim. The spoke is missing at this spot. This is maybe from the previous owner running over something.
My question is can I just find a spoke and pop it in there and true the wheel again?
The bike is driveable (I have put maybe 500 miles on it in the past month) but I am concerned the missing spoke and flat spot could cause a crash.
Any thoughts?

Offline george_the_second

• Advanced Member
  • I love brittbikes
    • View Profile
Re: "Truing" a spoked wheel
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 05:20:40 PM »
Hello Rabbit there are a few wierd things.
1st how can you damage only the rearwheel and miss the object with your frontwheel ?.
2th don't you worry where the nipple of the missing spoke has gone?
You say it is drivable does that mean you feel something  riding the bike that is worrying?
If there is any doubt about the rim and/or spokes I should replace them all, you cannot pull out a flat spot
with a new spoke,and how are the other spokes?.
It is your own safety that you are dealing with.
good luck with it.
regards George the second

Rabbit

Re: "Truing" a spoked wheel
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:33:10 PM »
Thanks for the reply George II.
You are right - this is a serious safety issue.
I got this bike a couple mos ago and did not notice the missing spoke at the time. The guy I got it from thought the tire was seated incorrectly so I am not sure he noticed either. He had it 2 years. For all I know the front wheel could have been demolished in whatever incident damaged the rear one.
Riding wise there does seem to be a slight bumping sensation in the back in low gears but it is not noticeable at speed.
The spoke nipple never entered my head. It could probably puncture the tube yeah?
The surrounding spokes seem fine. Although I am no expert. By fine I mean tight and straight.
I was hoping I could pop or pull out the flat spot with a new spoke and you have answered that one for me.
Cheers
Rabbit