Author Topic: 73 Yamaha TX750...help...  (Read 7345 times)

Offline bulldog1980

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
73 Yamaha TX750...help...
« on: August 09, 2008, 05:27:38 AM »
I recently purchased a 73 TX750 and have been finding a lack of information on this machine. I am aware that the Omi-phase cam at high rpm will froth the oil and can lead to engine failure...Does anyone have a fix to this? Well any information would be great.. oh names Michael and from Iowa (USA)  

Offline Grizzly

• Advanced Member
  • Tell the truth and shame the devil!
    • View Profile
Re: 73 Yamaha TX750...help...
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:12:39 PM »
Hi Michael

Nice looking bikes those TX's.

VJMC North America www.vjmc.org might be able to put you in touch with someone that can help.

Good luck

Grizzly
The older I get the faster I was

Offline Oldgit

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 08:24:52 PM »
I recently purchased a 73 TX750 and have been finding a lack of information on this machine. I am aware that the Omi-phase cam at high rpm will froth the oil and can lead to engine failure...Does anyone have a fix to this? Well any information would be great.. oh names Michael and from Iowa (USA)  

Sorry Michael but the best way to cure this problem is to sell it. They're a nice looking bike and a good idea but you'll have nothing but hassle.  :(

Offline hamo

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 10:05:02 PM »
Ignore the doom and gloom my friend.
I am currently restoring one of these beauties and have done a fair amount of homework on the ill fated model.
The early models didnt respond well to too much thrashing coupled with oil neglect (no surprise their then).
The oil, especially the out of date variety, struggled to cope with the turbulance created by the ballancer assembly at high revs.
The early model engines that survived where ridden properly and serviced regulaly.
Yamaha altered the design of the ballancer assembly and deepend the sump on the 1973 models onward so no worries your TX will be as reliable as any classic 70s bike, but will probably look a lot better.
Mark. (Liverpool England).

Offline roverman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 09:19:41 PM »
Agree with Mark, the TX has been unfairly branded as a lemon. There were early problems with the design but Yamaha got them sorted with mods, and shipped some complete modded engines under warranty. These are identified by having no engine number stamped into them, like mine.  Deep sump, adjustable balancer chain, various improved seals, are all in the modded engine but can but retrofitted to other engines.  Modern synthetic oil alone will probably be enough to keep them together.

Vastly under-rated bike and consequently quite cheap. Almost unknown here in the UK but still seem to be plenty around in the US and a few in Europe.  The XS650 is a good bike, but the TX750 makes 20% more power and 25% more torque for just 90cc more, and at lower revs too. The TX will stomp a CB750 in a top gear roll on, anyday. 50-60 miles per gallon (UK), 110 mph, twin discs as standard or option, 19 litre tank for 200+ mile range, sounds like a Norton Commando, and a real looker. Many parts still available except standard silencers, which are hen's teeth. Mine is a '73 in Candy Gold Metalflake with European-spec low bars and big tank. I've done 3500 miles with no complaints.