Author Topic: CB400/4 sprockets help  (Read 7430 times)

Offline Cleggy

• Advanced Member
  • I love my 400/4
    • View Profile
    • Email
CB400/4 sprockets help
« on: September 18, 2008, 12:53:43 AM »
Can anyone enlighten me as to the number of teeth on the STANDARD sprockets on a '79 400/4 F2 please.

Also I would like to increase the TOP speed rather than ACCELERATION....would that be larger at the front and smaller at the rear?? :-?

Offline sono

• Advanced Member
  • There's nothing like riding a Honda !
    • View Profile
Re: CB400/4 sprockets help
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 02:45:11 AM »
There is no such thing like a CB400/4 on Honda listing before after 1977 in US. It had 17teeth on the front sproket and 38 on rear sprocket. It uses a standard 530 chain.  Many third party drive chain and sprocket kits are available.

Reducing the number of rear sprocket teeth or increasing the number of teeth on the front could theorically increase top speed at the expense of acceleration power, if there is enough torque left to drive such top speed...  I doubt it. A FOUR is already an acceleration devil but at top RPM, there is only so much you can expect from an engine with two valves by cylinders. You already have SIX speeds on your transmission to extract the best of your available power curve. This bike is rated for max practical speed of 175km/h on sixth speed out of a 37HP engine !

I've got a Honda CM400T 1980 twin engine with 43HP and three valves per cylinders with a five speed transmission. It is said to reach 156km/h. Just follow me...  in 1982 they came up with the CM450 wich had two valves per cylinders and SIX speed transmission. Top speed was NOT improved over CM400.

You are already at very high top speed for a 400cc from the very design of this four cylinders machine. Increasing it would require more than playing with teeth numbers. It would be a shame to ruin such a roarring gem trying to ride it in the red for too long.

Unless you trust a pro mechanic specialized into racing machines, I just would not even try to improve the performance of your CB400F. This is likely a waste of money. You could rather check for foam air intake, modified jet sizes and tuned exhaust. You are talking of big bucks for an expected improvement that is not likely to exceed a few points of percentage, if your engine and driver can survive long enough to test it.  Do you really want to ride a 32 year old motorcycle over 175 km/hour !!!??? This could only be acheived if compression is top shape and nothing is out of optimal adjustment, perfect tires, wheels, etc.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 02:52:52 AM by sono »

Offline Searchguru

• Advanced Member
  • Suck, squeeze, bang, blow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 11:54:23 AM »
Cleggy,
If you do anything I would restrict it to reducing teeth on the rear as that is a finer adjustment than going up on the gearbox sprocket teeth. It may be that your push for a higher top speed may be fruitless as the bike may never get anywhere near its peak revs in top gear. So you may get the same speed you're at now but at lower revs and it having taken a week to get there.
Check out Classic Motorcycle Racing Club. You may be able to get some info from them without actually joining. I'm sure there must be somebody campaining with your model.
Stick with the standard HD chain and don't go for anything chunkier as I believe there is a clearance issue.

Check this link for front and rear sprockets +/- 2 teeth for your bike at reasonable prices.
http://shop.wemoto.com/index.dyn?oid=25313

Good luck
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 12:15:31 PM by Searchguru »

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 12:18:32 PM »
As I recall, the CB400F was slightly over-geared in top (6th.) gear anyway.

My own CB400/4 F1 (bought new in '75) was reluctant to rev much past 9,500 RPM, -  which is max. power revs for a standard CB400/4, although the redline is at 10,000 - without a fairly stiff tail wind and lying flat on the tank, left hand on the fork leg, peering over the instruments searching for those extra few miles per hour on our favourite stretch of straight empty road.......

....ah......the things we used to do....

....when we were young(er)! :)  
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 12:22:01 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline Searchguru

• Advanced Member
  • Suck, squeeze, bang, blow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 12:22:42 PM »
L.A.B.
If you'd also hooked your ankles over the rear indicator stalks you would have gained that little bit extra.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 09:15:32 AM by Searchguru »