Author Topic: WLA Timing cover  (Read 6822 times)

Offline KeithA

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
WLA Timing cover
« on: March 10, 2008, 07:35:53 PM »
I have a military WLA Harley. I need to remove the timing cover to have the hole for the oil sender switch repaired.
Is it OK to remove the cover and leave the cam spindles unsupported, or do I have to slacken off the valve springs first.
Any advise much appreciated.
Keith

Offline george_the_second

• Advanced Member
  • I love brittbikes
    • View Profile
Re: WLA Timing cover
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 08:43:32 PM »
Hello Keith it is indeed better to take the pressure off.
To take off the timinggear is allways a probleme to keep the gears in place, so probably you have to retime them anyway.
Note that the drivinggear is springoperated and comes out as soon as you pull the the cover off.
And you have to remove the ignition as well and that means you have to be sure that the gears are in the right position.
Even the return oilpump is involved(controles the oiling of the gears) and has to be in the right position.
So if you reinstall the cover check al the positions or you are in trouble.
It is not easy so be carefull and try to get help of someone who has done it before or buy a good illustrated maintenance book
regards Chris

• Advanced Member
  • I love brittbikes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 01:19:35 AM »
Hello Keith did my advice worked out?
I myself have a wlc 1942 and its always my favorit bike for long trips
Its very reliable if you keep it up to date
regards chris

Offline KeithA

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 01:11:45 PM »
Hello Chris; Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been on holidays. Thank-you for your advise. What happened was when I screwed in the oil pressure switch, the alloy hole in the cover broke away, so I have to remove the cover to have it welded up. I can do all the work myself, except the welding. I have good books. I started my project about 15 years ago, when i found a front brake plate lying in the bush believe it or not. Then a fella gave me a set of forks. I chased all the other bits myself, and I now have a fully licensed black and cream factory standard and correct in every detail WLA (except for a toothed belt primary. I have not had it out on the road yet. The motor and gear box, are still to be run in. What issues should I be aware of with these bikes with regular use on the road, other than the normal maintenance. Talk to you again soon Regards Keith Atkinson ps where do you live. i am in Australia

• Advanced Member
  • I love brittbikes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008, 03:21:37 AM »
Hello Keith I hope you had a nice holiday.
I am in Holland, so a long distance away , but it is nice to communicate this way.
Th wla/wlc harley can be used daily without probleme.
The only things are what oil do you use and the valve clearance.
If anything else is in good order there it will be ok
I use sae 20/50 from the beginning so after a restauration as a clean start
If your engine has always run on sae 50 single and not has been cleaned inside you have to stay with 50 single because otherwise sludge and other debris will go float ing and block oillines and ruin your engine.
If your valveseats are converted to leadfree you will have not to check the valveclearance, if not, check it
regulary, specially after they have been regrinded, because that cuts away the hard layer.
For the rest keep it up the road and have fun with it.
If you change oil regulary and keep it up to date it will serve you for a long time.
My last overhaul was about 25 years ago
regards Chris