Author Topic: italian post war motorcycles  (Read 16933 times)

Offline manx61

• Advanced Member
  • I love italian bikes, but I like ALL motorcycles!
    • View Profile
italian post war motorcycles
« on: July 03, 2004, 04:56:14 AM »
 hello!!! for all italian '50/'60/'70 bikes enthusiasts, I can help with technical data , pics, and a lot of suggestion:my massive archive and 25 years in restoring made a huge documentation!!!
thank for hospitality on beautiful site and sorry for grammar mistakes!!! ;) :) :D
carlone

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
Re: italian post war motorcycles
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2004, 03:50:33 PM »
Hi,
thanks for joining the forum.  I you have any good pic particularly of models that I haven't covered in my galleries already, I'd be really pleased if you could send some over.

Cheers

Nigel.

Offline lyns

• Advanced Member
  • GATHERING MOMENTUM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2004, 04:28:56 AM »
Hi

Just about to start restoring Benelli 750 SEI 1975/76 looking for any help. This model has 6 carburettors all dellorto's I am told this was a factory performance option, does anyone know? Also short of the original front brake master cylinder.

Cheers Lyns

Offline manx61

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2004, 05:18:06 AM »
hi, LYNS
probably your carb set is a kit from italian  and worldwide Dellortos distributor Malossi firm. They still are specialized in performance kits for bikes , mopeds and scooters .In the '70 and '80 main business were carbs tuning and replacement set for a lot of motorcycles, including japanese, german, and obviously italian.
In a short time I can send  more details.
carlone

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 05:24:56 AM »
Original carb setup was three 24mm Dell'Orto's
L.A.B.

Offline manx61

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 06:03:18 AM »
hi, Lyns
I have find in "MOTOCICLISMO" -italian leader magazine-december 1976 an advertisement about  performance kits from  Benelli dealer " RAVASIO MOTO". There were two options: first only carbs set of 22 vhb Dell'Ortos and intake manifolds, and  second were added camshaft and 11:1 compression piston at carb set for 78 HP output at @10.500 declared.
Original equipment were two VHB24DS and one VHB24DD with connecting plate and syncro sistem operating.
carlone

Offline lyns

• Advanced Member
  • GATHERING MOMENTUM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 04:36:50 AM »
Hi manx61 & L.A.B.

tnx for the replies all points noted, not sure what the carb sizes are at the moment I will check this and let you know. I was thinking that as the engine is a 500 four cylinder plus two more cylinders that the correct carb size might be the same as the 500 Quattro.

If anyone is interested I have found a guy who will make a complete exhaust system from stainless again I will keep you informed.

Toodle pip

Lyns

Bill Wood

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 08:13:48 PM »
I have a little 1960 Bianchi 4 stroke 125cc that has a loud tapping noise which is not a tappet. It appears to come from the gearbox, however when I put the bike in gear and the clutch begins to bite the noise goes away. Any ideas and is it safe to run like this?

Offline DavidW

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 04:59:38 AM »
Hi
Ive just purchased a 48 Saturno and am trying to locate parts book and shop manual. Also am trying to source parts such as rubber tank pads, speedo and drive, horn, electics etc. Any ideas?
thanks
David

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 05:06:23 AM »
You could ask North Leicester Motorcycles:
http://www.northleicestermotorcycles.com/
L.A.B.

Offline powerzombie

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 06:42:26 AM »
 Have you any exploded views of a Aeromere Capriolo 100 transmission?

THX!

Offline Panzergranate

• Advanced Member
  • Owner and rider of some of the rarer JAWA / CZs
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2007, 01:54:15 AM »
I have a 1970's Aprillia licence built CZ 350 which differs considerably in performance and component parts from the Czech built machines.

Mine does 107 MPH and is powered by a JAWA Type 631 engine fitted with Italian bearings, Italian ASSO Werk hi-compression 14.5:1 pistons and Aprillia electrics including their famous sealed beam unit.

The bike has completed 79,000 miles so far in all weathers reliably. In the 1970's Aprillia made the only Italian bikes that could run at night in the rain.

The bike weighs 291 Pounds.

Gear speeds are:

Up shift into 1st gear to 42 MPH.

Down shift into 2nd to 67 MPH.

Down shift into 3rd to 78 MPH.

Down shift into 4th to 107 MPH.

Power delivery is pure torque and not through revs, so accellertion is more than you'd expect from a similar Japanese or Italian stroker.

Brakes are TLS drums on both wheels which can easily lock both wheels even at past 70 MPH.

Handling is like being on rails, and back in the 1980's, the only bike that could give it the run for its money through twisty corners was a friend on a Benelli 2C twin.

The exhaust note sounds like movees from a lumpy V8 dargster at tickover, to a deep banshee howl when on the gas.

And then I fitted expansion chambers, port and gas flowed the engine.

Engine spec is 38 Pounds per Foot torque @ 3,800 RPM

Maximum engine power output is 30 BHP @ 6,500 RPM

Compression is 14.5:1

Clutch is by hand and foot assisted slick shift.

The clutch needs Suzuki GSX750R spring fitting as the engine will eat a set of clutch plates in 3 months otherwise (see torque output)

This then requires the rider to develop a vice like grip on the left hand. Use of the clutch is a boon with this arrangement.

Another fault is the chain tensioner, a problem on the power restricted Czech CZ 350s but a bloody pain inthe arse on the tuned up Italian built bikes. The enegine torque just rips the things apart, so the remedy is to drill the things out and fit a high tensile aircraft grade bolt. Ordinary bolts will stretch and snap within a week.

Braking is about 200% more than neccessary and locking up both wheels is possible on even Metzler tyres on a hot dry road, due to the bike's lack of weight.

Aprillia made licenced versions of the CZ 125 and 175 singles plus the 250 and 350 twins. These bike were built in Italy from 1969 onwards, along with a licence built Zundapp 50cc sports moped, in odrer to avoid the heavy import tax then in force on foreign motor vehicle imports. The bikes had to have a fair percentage of Italian produced parts.

This was the electrical system, piston, bearings but fortunately, the chrome remained the expensive thick Nickel based heavy Chrome finish that the Czechs are just so good at.  

Major differences:

The ignition keys have Aprillia on them. Colours were always Brown and Cream (not a Czech used colour scheme), sealed beam headlight, totally different wiring loom.

Also engine peformance is vastly different.

I have a picture somewhere of one of a friends 250cc versions.

I'm no Power Ranger!! I'm a genuine spanner welding, engine fxing, bike restoring proper Biker!!

Offline norton_bob

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 03:21:05 PM »
I am restoring a 67 Ducati 250 Dianna,now just sorting a few running bugs.The revs wont go over 4000,the ignition was magneto type,now battery/coil,I am told that the orriginal generator/mag is not suitable and needs a mod to fix, the bike is now 12 v, could the problem be overvolting?.Has anyone modified an advance /retard  unit as they are diferent for mag and battry bikes.I also need to check that the coil is right type for 12v, what ohms readings ?.Plug grade for todays crap petrol?.

Offline Vincent

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 09:40:23 PM »
Bob,

The Ducati 250 engine was a thing of beauty.  I lusted after a 250 Ducati for years but it never happened.

I read a test report one time and they said the tail-light was used as "Ballast" for the generator and it was possible to blow the bulb by revving the engine at a stop slight.

With electrics like that you may have some minor problem and nothing serious.

Good luck on getting it sorted out.