Author Topic: WANTED: Moto Morini 3 1/2 Parts/info  (Read 8372 times)

Offline Blue

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
WANTED: Moto Morini 3 1/2 Parts/info
« on: April 27, 2008, 02:42:15 PM »
G'day,

I have a 1974 Moto Morini 3 1/2 Sport and I was hoping anyone might be able to provide me with any suggestions and/or parts.

Most urgently I require the correct filter housing - the bike had K&N pod-type filters when I bought it and the only proper type of housing I've managed to obtain is too big (for a 500cc I expect).  I'm willing to offer this over-large housing as a swap if desired.

Also, has anyone here had experience with the Morini clutch?  I have a parts list and a service manual for the bike, and the parts list tells me the clutch should have a 'dished' steel plate - but the manual doesn't make any mention of this part at all.  So i wonder if it's even necessary?  The plates sold by North Leicester Motorcycles come with a convex plate apparently, but I can't for the life of me see what use it is.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

Blue

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: WANTED: Moto Morini 3 1/2 Parts/info
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 04:31:29 PM »
I suggest you contact Moto Morini V twin expert Paul Compton: http://www.morini-mania.co.uk/index.htm as I'm sure he will be happy to give you advice if he can (and I'll bet he can!).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 04:32:53 PM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Offline Blue

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2008, 11:00:52 PM »
Thanks L.A.B, I'll look into that.

Offline kanguro44

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 08:12:22 AM »
Blue

I just rebuilt the clutch on my 84 Kanguro today, the dished steel plate goes in between the last pair of friction plates. The curve faces out, ie convex with the inner part raised. I had a slight oil leak from the pushrod seal so have put some hylomar on until I get a new seal. Otherwise the clutch on mine is fine, it was getting a bit snatchy on pulling away from standstill so I knew something was up. Good luck with yours.

Regards

Kanguro44

Offline Blue

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 10:53:49 PM »
Thanks Kanguro,

I'm not sure what the story with my clutch is.  Basically all the plates are brand new, but there doesn't appear to be a dished plate - which is unusual because North Leicester are really the only parts supplier, and his sets have the convex plate so I'm baffled as to where my plates have come from.  When I disengage the clutch by pulling the lever in, there is a god-awful whine like you wouldn't believe, and with earplugs in the noise becomes something of a 'jackhammer' sound.  Interestingly enough, screw on the chromed clutch-cover and you can't hear it; but I know it's there and I want to find the problem.

It's only that and the improper air filtration that's stopping me from riding the little beast, so you can understand my frustration.

Blue

Offline kanguro44

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 11:02:58 PM »
Blue

The only way to tell the dished plate is to lay them on a flat surface and check. Also you should have one thinner friction plate than the rest, this is normally the first plate in. Then alternate metal plate/friction plate until you get to the dished plate (if you have one) then put the final friction plate on and then cover. Other checks to make are with plates removed check for end float between the inner & outer clutch hubs, if there is excessive movement this needs to be shimmed. I used an old Rover Mini balljoint shim on mine!!

Regarding air filters, I run k&n's on my Kanguro as due to extensive mods I could not fit the original airbox. I have problems but found by trial and error if you fit the k&ns to the rubber elbows via a piece of tubing they perform better. I run 114 main jets with the k&n's and the mixture is good. Top speed about 85+mph and fuel economy 65+mpg.

Regards

kanguro44