Author Topic: which bike: Peugeot or Panther  (Read 3879 times)

Offline norbi7631

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
which bike: Peugeot or Panther
« on: March 29, 2009, 08:51:31 PM »
Hello All!
I'm finishing my first project - BSA B31 is almost ready, just assemble and it will hit the road. I had hard time with it - it was my very first restoration. I took a lot of lessons and I'm ready for new challenge. B31 was easy due to availability of spares, but now I also have much more knowledge about fixing parts which do not really have to be replaced/places to do things/technology, etc.
Long intro :) but wanted to emphasise I have a bit of background in restoring old bike.
Now is the time to look for new project. There are 2 bikes which I can afford and which suit my expectations: Peugeot P111 and Panther model 20. I will appreciate any info about both of them. Do not expect comperisons beacause would be extraordinary to find someone who worked on/owns both of them, but if you know any source of parts/service namuals for both of them/users forums etc it would help me to chose which one I should chose. For now I preffer Peugeot: unit construction and metric threads (had really hard time with imperial threads looking for SS nuts and bolts).
Hope to hear any feedback from all vintage bikes enthusiasts.
Thanks
Norbert

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: which bike: Peugeot or Panther
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 10:01:08 AM »
Don't think going metric will make things easier. You will find out there are as many different types of metric as there are Imperial threads.
I have a 1924 Amilcar, (small French sports car) and thought much the same. I've learnt a lot since. For example, French Automobile metric used a 5 x .75 mm pitch thread, modern ISO 5mm has a .8mm pitch. They aren't interchangeable yet are so close to being the same you can't pick them apart. You just stuff the thread up trying to run one on the other. Drove me nuts at first.
Personally, I'd buy both the Peugeot and the Panther. They are both fun,
Cheers,