Author Topic: What model is this Excelsior?  (Read 4986 times)

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
What model is this Excelsior?
« on: May 07, 2007, 06:05:20 PM »
Can anyone help Howard Kimber identify the model/year of this Excelsior.  The picture was taken in 1944 and we know that the bike had a separate oil tank and glass visor and valve to regulate oil flow. Can you help us?

Offline geoffus

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: What model is this Excelsior?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 03:15:44 PM »
althoughI'm not very well at identifying Excelsior two strokes I think it's a model D. 6 of about 1930 31 around 1933 a watercooled two-stroke was produced using the D6 frame it was designated D. 9 Hope this helps
regards Geoff

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 08:28:22 PM »
This is a classic example of what the English factories sent out to Australia. Its a model introduced in 1930 but appears to have the previous years front forks on it. It also has the 1929 taillight/numberplate set up.
We got some mysterious model mixtures at times, usually they seemed aimed at using up all the obsolete parts they couldn't sell on the home market.
Excelsior listed this particular model with either the 196 1E engine or the 196 Super Sports. These were respectively the Model 3 or the Model 4. The 196 Super Sports had an alloy detachable cylinder head bit I can't quite make this out in the photo.
The next year, 1931, Excelsior inclined the engine forward slightly so it is fairly easy to pick the year.
I'm very confident of this as Excelsior intoduced this bike in 1929 fitted with either the  147cc Mk VIII-C  Villiers or the 172cc Super Sports Villiers engine. My current ride is the 147 version and I'm halfway through restoring a 1929 172 Super Sports. I never thought such a small bike could be so much fun. I've been really surprised.
I'd be very grateful to get a copy of the photo.
Cheers, Bob

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 09:36:17 PM »
Whoops! One last thing. Note the tiny front brake. That is also a 1929 item only fitted to my 147 Model 1 and the 1929 172 Super Sports model.
I suppose we should be glad the factory at least fitted the sturdier 'E' type 3 speed gearbox in 1930.
That gearbox is the last stumbling block in my 172 Super Sport restoration. They were made as either a top mounted box that hung from the frame rails or a bottom mount type that sat on top of them. I have three top mount boxes and am hunting for the right bottom mount type. Hopefully I will find one at Beaulieu or Netley Marsh when I come over on holiday in September.
Cheers again, Bob

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 11:17:15 PM »
Thanks Bob.  I've emailed the owner of the picture to let him know.

Cheers

Nigel.