Author Topic: Is this a Lewis  (Read 4812 times)

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
Is this a Lewis
« on: September 20, 2007, 05:02:55 PM »
A superb picture from Mike Scott-Williams taken in South Australia.  Mike has been advised that the bike may be a Lewis.  Can anyone confirm or offer an alternative?

Cheers again....

Nigel.

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
Re: Is this a Lewis
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 10:23:31 PM »
Yes it certainly is, but a much-modified one.

It looks like it started out as a 3 1/2 HP (500cc) water-cooled model of the type current between late 1910 and 1912. The registration number was issued much later, so at a guess the photo might have been taken after the war.

Modifications are the valve enclosure, footboards instead of the usual pedals, extended air intake on the carburettor and the dropped handlebars. Magic!

The engine is a Precision (made by F.E. Baker Ltd. in Birmingham) and the frame is made from Chater Lea fittings.  On this model the radiator occupies the front section between the tank rails, and is separate from the fuel and oil tank behind it.

Lewis built probably 2000 machines in Adelaide, South Australia between 1899 and the mid 1920s. For more information check out The Lewis Project website:

http://users.senet.com.au/~mitchell/lewis/

If anyone has Lewis photos or information, I'd love to hear from them.

Cheers

Leon

Offline VintageBike

• YaBB Administrator
  • Advanced Member
  • Not quite enough bikes in the garage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 04:25:33 PM »
Thanks Leon!  I've let the owner of the photograph know.

Superb webiste of yours by the way - just spent hours looking at the history of the Lewis factory.  Fantastic!

Cheers

Nigel.

Offline speedwayz

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 04:17:53 PM »
WOW!!!! What a web-sight you have there, just loved it. I was in there for 3 hrs tonight!!!! I just can't belive that the photos are still with us to this day. Thanks for all the hard work in getting that all in the web. THANKS RB
Honda, Norton, BSA, Indian motorcycle crazy

Offline cardan

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
    • earlymotor.com
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 08:49:17 AM »
Thanks for the positive comments - I'm please you enjoyed looking at the website. I designed it for a leisurely browse.

Just to finish off with this photo. I checked the registration records and 11816 was issued to H.K. Scott of Currency Creek (a rather isolated spot about 80 km south east of Adelaide) in June 1918. By then the bike was about 7 years old. Plenty of time to do those sporty mods!

Leon