Author Topic: Norten Interchangability  (Read 3389 times)

Offline Beecher

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Norten Interchangability
« on: March 30, 2006, 07:10:05 AM »
hi, im new to bikes, i only really know early ford cars.  Anyway, im looking into getting a 1947 or earlier norton es2, and i was wondering if later stuff would fit with out being visually differnt from a 1947 say.  I have found some 1956 es2 stuff, engine mounts, rear stands, etc, is any of that kind of stuff good?  or did it change at some point prior?  thanks alot

-Beecher

Charles Gough

Re: Norten Interchangability
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 08:28:55 PM »
Hi Beecher

Take time to do some homework on the year that you are interested in, try to get a parts book plus one on the Norton story.
This information will help you get a feel for what they are about. Try to get a bike that is all there and do not be tempted to put one together from parts it will cost you twice as much.
The bikes are easy to work on and understand, plus they are enjoyable to ride aswell.
Some Parts never changed much over the years but heads, cylinders and crankcases did, internals were much the same ( mid 30's to late 40's ).
The 50's had the swinging arm come along together with the laydown gearbox, previous to that it was rigid type frames and upright gearboxes.
One bit of advice do not buy any part that you think is right unless you absolutly shure. Parts that come up on Ebay go for silly money so take this into account.
Joining the Norton Owners Club will give you access to more info and resources .
I hope this info helps you and does not put you off, if you want to get in touch feel free.
Kind regards Charles. Bristol N.O.C

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Norten Interchangability
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2006, 04:04:24 AM »
Some of the more notable ES2 detail changes to look out for:

1950, gearbox type and engine plates changed.
1951 prop stand fitted, light alloy front brake plate .
1953 swinging arm frame used.
1954 new front brake.
1956 AMC gearbox fitted.
1957 new cylinder head and other parts changed, new frame.
1958 featherbed frame, alternator and coil ignition used.
1960 gearbox ratios changed.
1961 slimline featherbed frame used.

L.A.B.