Author Topic: what is my bike ?  (Read 5239 times)

Oldforgery

what is my bike ?
« on: May 27, 2008, 06:21:30 AM »
 I have a bike and it has a Triumph Thunderbird engine but the number which i found on the headstock nearside(or what think is the frame number!) is F 3905 A. Can anyone shed any light on what it might be or if im even looking in the right place?

Thanks Nick

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: what is my bike ?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 07:08:30 AM »
F 3905 A.

Is the number raised or stamped?

That is probably the casting number of the headstock if it is a raised number?

Is it a pre unit or unit engine and gearbox?
L.A.B.

Oldforgery

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 06:59:35 PM »
From what i can tell from the engine number ( 6T 018114) its a pre unit. The number i found is stamped in not raised. ill try and post a few pics if i can, it might be of some help.

Thanks Nick

Oldforgery

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 07:15:22 PM »
hmmm it wont attach my pics it says they are too big, tried using photo bucket but they wont attach either. What program should i be using to attach my pics

Thanks ???

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 01:49:43 AM »
From what i can tell from the engine number ( 6T 018114) its a pre unit. The number i found is stamped in not raised.

The frame number would have matched the engine number originally, so I doubt that the stamped number you found is the frame number? 6T 018114 would make the engine a 1958 model.

In order to upload a photo directly into your message it has to no more than 100KB file size, so it is generally necessary to reduce the picture quality as well as the actual size?

I find Photobucket works OK for me here.

Try copying the URL *IMG Code* line of the Photobucket photo, then paste it directly into your message, and do not paste the IMG Code into the Attach box.

Or if that still doesn't work, try pasting the photo's URL *Direct link* line into your message?

Remember to leave spaces between any message text and the URL line.

Alternatively you can always email the photos to Nigel (VintageBike)? He will insert them into your message for you?    

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:51:32 AM by L.A.B. »
L.A.B.

Oldforgery

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 02:19:18 AM »
 ;D  Thanks.
I have just found another number very close to the last but slightly bigger 73243.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 05:52:15 AM »
73243 does sound more like the frame number, if so, then that would identify the frame as being from the 1956 production year.
L.A.B.

Oldforgery

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 08:09:50 PM »
Great thanks.  :)
 Its a shame the numbers do not match or that the bike is not in great condition.

Just off the top of your head or if anybody else has any idea, how much do you reckon this would be worth as it is. Or would it be more cost effective to do it up.

I dont intend to sell, im just interested as i dont know the first thing about bikes, especially the classics.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 08:12:10 PM by Oldforgery »