Author Topic: Old Enfield  (Read 8433 times)

Offline williamv1203

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Old Enfield
« on: June 13, 2008, 07:09:29 PM »
Hello,
We are in possession of and old Royal Enfield and are unsure of the model. We were hoping someone here would be able to shed some light on this for us.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
Re: Old Enfield
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 05:21:54 AM »
It's a  Royal Enfield 350cc Model G I think, which has been modified by somebody adding a swinging arm rear end?

http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Directories/Royal%20Enfield%20Bikes/pages/RE-Model-G-47.htm
L.A.B.

Offline 33d6

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 10:52:50 AM »
Frame and engine numbers are always of enormous help when asked to identify a bike.
Perhaps you could tell us what they are?

Offline williamv1203

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 02:19:09 PM »
Thanks,
I will get these and post them here.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 05:10:05 PM »
Seeing the second photo, I'm fairly certain it is a model G, probably late a 1940's one.

This 1948 one has girder forks for some reason, as telescopic forks would normally have been fitted by that time?:
http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Directories/Royal%20Enfield%20Bikes/pages/Royal-Enfield-Model-G-48.htm
L.A.B.

Offline williamv1203

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 06:33:04 PM »
Frame and engine numbers are always of enormous help when asked to identify a bike.
Perhaps you could tell us what they are?

I now have an engine number for this bike but unfortunately could not find any numbers on the frame. Is there any specific place I should be looking? Checked the obvious places, head stock, down tube... nothing there.

Engine number is: S 1 0 5

Offline m3bobby

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 08:42:13 PM »
S105 could be an engine number but I suspect that it could be a matching number. Where was the number stamped? If it was stamped on the back edge of the engine, next to the split of the 2 engine halfs then it is a matching cast number.

If the number is stamped into the front of the engine or the top of the drive side half (under the cylinder) then it is a 'S' model. (I thought the S model had a different engine but I'm not sure).

The model G in the link posted by LAB is a mixture of Model CO and G. The G had a taller headstock than that shown in the photo so must be a model CO front frame (maybe even back frame) and late CO girder forks.

Cheers, Chris.

Offline williamv1203

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 01:07:14 AM »
S105 could be an engine number but I suspect that it could be a matching number. Where was the number stamped? If it was stamped on the back edge of the engine, next to the split of the 2 engine halfs then it is a matching cast number.

If the number is stamped into the front of the engine or the top of the drive side half (under the cylinder) then it is a 'S' model. (I thought the S model had a different engine but I'm not sure).

The model G in the link posted by LAB is a mixture of Model CO and G. The G had a taller headstock than that shown in the photo so must be a model CO front frame (maybe even back frame) and late CO girder forks.

Cheers, Chris.

Hi and thanks for the reply,
It is stamped on top of the left side of the casing below the cylinder. Will post a photo if it will help.

Offline L.A.B.

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 02:57:28 AM »
If there isn't anybody here that is able to help, then it might be worthwhile contacting the machine dating officer of the REOC?
As I believe Royal Enfield serial numbers can't easily be dated without access to the factory records?

There is a fee for this service to non-club members: http://www.royalenfield.org.uk/machine_dating.php
L.A.B.

Offline RichP

• Advanced Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 03:13:25 AM »
Andy Tiernan had a WD/CO which was fitted with a 250 'S' engine. The top end does look noticeably smaller than the 350.

There is a close-up of the engine number. Does yours look like this one ?

http://www.andybuysbikes.com/Archive/4129.htm

Offline williamv1203

• Advanced Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008, 03:04:28 PM »
There is a close-up of the engine number. Does yours look like this one?

Yes. The one below the cylinder does. I wasn't aware of the other numbers. I will be at the shop today and will get photos of other numbers if I can find any and post them.